Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow hooks

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can get the reese receiver fitted shackle hitch apparatus for like $40 at almost any farm supply store. the bolt on D-rings for the front from www.expeditionexchange.com or you can prolly find them at the same farm and fleet store you find the receiver hitch mounted shackle at...
i happened to snag myself a set from one of the humvees in the motorpool just the other day (im a huge fan of free stuff from the army. even when the army doesnt know it is giving me free stuff)

Old 01-24-2015, 10:37 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize this is an old thread and that I am new here, but I have an idea that I was hoping to get some input on.

I would like to have a front tow point on my Disco II (without getting a new bumper) that would be strong enough for off-road recovery.

I was looking at the factory tie down point (which I do not think is sufficient for off-road recovery) and had a thought.

The bracket for the tie down is attached to the end of the frame rail with 2 through-bolts. I am thinking of pulling the existing tie-down bracket off and fabbing up a replacement bracket that would bolt into the existing tie down frame holes, but that would be made of heavy plate and bar stock with a simple shackle hole at the end.

Anything inherently wrong with the idea, assuming the replacement bracket was sufficiently fabricated?