Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Towing...

Annie, those towing numbers don't add up. Here's what I see for the '03 in the RAVE Owner's Handbook.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7793/DF2938C17A4D41B299C80B2E2EE9FF41.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Mudding

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what all the numbers mean then.

I'll copy here what U-haul says about their 6 x 12 ft. trailer.

CAPACITY:
Volume: up to 396 cu. ft.
Max load: 2,600 lbs.
Gross vehicle weight: 4,400 lbs. max
Empty weight: 1,800 lbs.

I have to haul a couch, love seat, futon (small), box springs/mattress set, cheap wood dining room table and chairs, a cheap wood entertainment system and a TV.

Ahh...I'm so lost....

Old 11-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Mudding

Maybe I should just do a utility trailer instead and tie everything down? I have a problem with visualizing how big my trailer needs to be to get all the stuff.
They have a 5' x 9' utility trailer without brakes.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:26 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

surge brakes will not require any special hook up to your disco..surge brakes use a self-contained inertia system to stop the trailer.

I have not rented a U-haul in a long time but $800 sounds very expensive. what size truck are you asking about?

I think you should be able to get all the items you mentioned onto a 5'x10' trailer (if loaded correctly).

Old 11-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ah ok.

Max load: 2,600 lbs. = this is how much stuff you can load onto the trailer
Gross vehicle weight: 4,400 lbs. max = this is how much the trailer and all your stuff loaded on to it can weigh
Empty weight: 1,800 lbs. = this is the weight of the trailer as you pick it up, unloaded

Now for your D2. According to the picture I posted from the RAVE manual it can tow a trailer (with overrun brakes) with a GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) of 7700 lbs. The trailer you're looking at has a GVW of 4400 lbs. That's only about 57% of the total load the D2 can haul. You shouldn't have any problems loading that trailer up.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Mudding

So I DON'T need to get any brake controller or wire something up?

If this is true this would be FANTASTIC!!!

Old 11-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: AnnelieseMae

I have to haul a couch, love seat, futon (small), box springs/mattress set, cheap wood dining room table and chairs, a cheap wood entertainment system and a TV.
Here's how I'd try to load the truck. First the tv would go in the cargo area of the truck. Get some ratchet straps for everything anyways, and use at least one for the tv. There are tie down loops recessed in the floor (if you have a cargo liner and never lifted it) to secure it.

I would buy heavy plastic bags for the box spring and mattress (available at most moving supply stores), and load them onto the roof. Assuming it's not a king size, and someone can assist you loading and unloading from the roof.

Put the couch and futon facing each other, and then flip the table on top of the seat cushion. This can protect top of the table and remove any stress from the legs while accelerating and stopping.

The love seat and entertainment center can go anywhere and if you're lucky the seats for the table can stack together.

edit: You may not need to wire up brakes, but you'll need to connect the trailer for turn signal and brake lights I bet. I've heard some people have issues with certain connections for trailers. Try to check before you walk in on moving day any to find out you can't hook up the trailer wiring.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Mudding

Spike gave me a link earlier in this thread for the wiring kit from AB.
I was going to buy that and hope it'll convert everything the way I need to hook it up.

Edited: Would you get the 5'x8' or 6'x12'?

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to fit everything...even with the mattress on top with the smaller trailer. The Love seat matches the couch, so they should probably face each other with the futon somewhere else (it's a cheapo futon...metal frame and lousy mattress).

But maybe...I might contact the ex and see what he says...

Old 11-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Three Wheeling

That 7700lbs is in "L", not "H"...

Trust me, you don't want to tow anything near the 4400lbs of that trailer without brakes (I've always had trailers with electric brakes)... I have no idea how surge brakes are incorporated into the equation... I'm hoping someone else does and will chime in....

summary:
With the surge brakes on the trailer and the max weight of the trailer being 4400lbs., you will be fine... You will need the electrical for the lights though, and a ball and ball mount...

Old 11-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: jmrivera

You will need the electrical for the lights though, and a ball and ball mount...
I believe the official terms, if you see my first post of the thread, are "ball thingie" and "the thingie the ball thingie goes into"

Just wanted to set you straight...

Quick Reply: Towing...