Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing.... Gulp.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Towing.... Gulp.

Well, We're ready to move on the whole 18' travel trailer idea, and so I called the LR dealer in Grand Rapids, just like the manual suggested.

Well, the dealer (Dave) was not only baffled as to why on earth I'd even WANT to tow something with my Land Rover, but that he "couldn't possible recommend that", and that he "had never heard of anybody wanting to have trailer brakes installed".

I explained that the manual says that I can tow anything up to 4,600lbs as long as it has brakes. "I'm sorry, but... we just... we don't do anything with towing or brake controllers... I've just.... I mean... I just can't...."

...Thanks for your help, sir, have a good day. "Well I mean I'm sorry, but I just..." *click*

After shaking the weirdness off, I called a place I'd never heard of before Google told me about: Hitches by George", also in G.R.

The guy asked what I drove, and asked if I need a brake controller as well.

"A 2004 Land Rover Discovery, and yes, I'll need everything."

He then quoted me $180.

Does $180 sound okay? Would you guys trust a non Disco dealer to do this work?

I honestly expected to pay upwards of $500, so $180 doesn't seem bad at all.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:38 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$180 for the 7 pin connector, module and brake controller? That sounds about right but I bet it's not a direct plug-in, you'll have to splice wires.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Winching

Hey Nite!

Thanks man- that makes sense- So, I'll basically have to cut whatever plug the trailer I buy has, and wire it into the male end of whatever the shop installs to my hitch?

Our 2000 Disco already has the 7-pin installed, but I still want to go with the newer one I think.

THANK YOU!

Old 04-08-2009, 01:55 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

$180 sounds about right. When it comes to something simple like trailer wiring I would have no problem letting a hitch shop do the install.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Hitches by George is a well known reputable place here in GR Pat.
They do good work from what I have heard.
If I remember right they installed a hitch for me on a Oldsmobile that I had a long time ago.
$180 sounds good to me.
You might also want to check with Millbrook trailers on 68th St in Dutton, 68th & US 131.
There is also a HUGE RV dealer in Wayland, I forget their name but they are also right off of US 131.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Winching

Thank you, everybody- and an especially big thank-you to you, Phil. I will give those guys a call.

We aren't looking to spend much at all on a trailer- maybe $1,500, max.

Something interesting- a very close friend of mine, I just found out, goes to Mars Hill. Isn't that something? He had a lot of good stuff to say about them.

I'm coming to G.R. tomorrow to look at a "water damaged" 18 footer right around my price point... it's on Division. We shall see!

Pat

Old 04-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

What kind of water damage?
I would be kinda leery of that one.
On a side note I have a friend who has a 18' or 22' tandem axle trailer that he used to pull with a Ford Ranger, he no longer has the Ranger or any other tow vehicle, he is on vacation but will be back next week.
I do not know if he still has the trailer or if it is even for sale but I will ask him for you.
If you find something in the mean time go for it.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Winching

Woah! Yeah??

Man, I'll go ahead and wait! We can't go anywhere until Mandy's done with her semester of college anyway.

THANK YOU PHIL, for asking!

Pat

Old 04-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The shops should know all this, but remind them just in case. The rovers have a split amber turn signal, so make sure they use a taillight converter to trigger the trailers (red) turn signal lamps. Additionally, make sure they use a dedicated fused power wire straight to the battery, for the controller. The rovers wiring and modules are sensitive to excessive power drain.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, Phil is the Shiz-Nit!

Quick Reply: Towing.... Gulp.