Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

towing in low range...safe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008 | 08:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: towing in low range...safe?

ORIGINAL: Disco2Guy

U.P., what do you do with the D1? Looks like you're throwing everything at the D2 for your trip to Africa. That's where you're trip is taking you later this year right?
Hi, The D1 was a gift!!! ( free to collector) I just could not turn it down. Me andFriend use that for more serious fun in the mud as it does not "really" matter if she gets damaged. I do take mine off road, But I do like it shiny to

Yes Using the D2 and Planning on going thru France, Spain, into North Africa (Morocco). So I'll be seeing the Alps, Pyrenees, Atlas mountains and offcourse the Saharah Desert......should be fun!!!

Old 05-23-2008 | 01:35 AM
|
TReK

urban, tell us more about this trip. How long will it take, how many vehicles? If you already have a thread started please post the link. What contingencies will you be prepared for? I imagine a ABS brake module would be hard to come by in the saharah.

Old 05-23-2008 | 07:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Hi, No thread as yet.....

The trip will take approx 19 days for me as Im driving through France to the north of spain (Bilbao) where I'll meet up with those who dont mind the ferry from UK to Bilbao. My stomach is not up to see travel that much lol. The cost in Fuel is about the same as the Ferry ticket.

We then travel through spain in groups etc at our own leisure, and meet up with the whole groupfor the ferry at Al geciras to go accross to Morocco. Once there, its 17 days of Atlas mountains, river beds etc etc etc and into the sahara.

Its my first "overland" trip, So Im going in an "organised" group run by the land rover owner adventure club. Once I have been once and seen what I have done right, and what needs to be improved, then the next time will probably just kit up with friends and go where ever.

Last year there was 19 vehicles, so theres a good group to have fun with.

As far as spares go, well I will carry what I "think" is best, but as Im sure your aware you cannot carry everything as its just not possible. Im currently "fixing" all the common issues whether or not they need doing with my TD5 so its "hopefully" in the best shape possible.

I will have full European recovery cover, so that gives a small piece of mind. Its amazing how many people do this stuff once you get into it. It just looks so much fun and I feel it will be a thing to remember for a long time, as opposed to sitting on a beach in the carrabean ( wife not 100% on that one lol)

here is some pictures, for an idea.....it looks amazing and I want a photo of my truck in the desert !!

For some strange reason, It wont allow me to post the link in here.....it blocks it out with ***** 's

Old 05-23-2008 | 01:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That looks like a lot of fun!!! I'm jealous!!

Old 05-27-2008 | 10:58 PM
|
TReK

ORIGINAL: salve7

That looks like a lot of fun!!! I'm jealous!!
yeah me too! I'm just curious, how much does a trip like this cost?

Old 05-28-2008 | 09:24 PM
Pro Wrench

as to the towing... its not your tbox that gets hurt, its your engine and tranny, in low range, as far as your engine and trans are concerned, youre going about 110 mph when youre only moving down the road at 40... however, if youre worried about getting started, you can start in low, and then switch to high once you hit speed, its not truely synchronized, so i wouldnt recomend goin much above 15 before you shift

Old 05-28-2008 | 10:33 PM
|
TReK

roverguy, the engine and tranny shouldn't care if you are in high or low range as long as you keep the RPMs low. Now that I have a rover I'll have to test it out and see how fast I can go in low range at a safe RPM for the engine..I'm guessing not very fast...but I'm not going to push it..do not want to blow it up yet. I just got it.

Old 05-29-2008 | 03:52 PM
Mudding

The safest thing to do would be to find out how much you are towing but if I were you I would make sure all my maintenence and fluids were up to date and just go and two the thing in high range. I tow a 26 foot boat (7000lbs on trailer) about 10 miles to the launch often for two years now and I have been just fine. Make sure the trailer has brakes and your load is properly distributed. If I am not mistaken the '03 and '04 Discovery is good for 7700lbs even in high range and they share the same transfer case and transmission in the other DIIs only the engine is a bit bigger. You will be just fine. Tell us how it goes.

Fred

Old 05-29-2008 | 06:48 PM
Pro Wrench

exactly... however your rpms will be alot higher, about three times as high as in high range in each respective trans gear. also, you are putting more strain on the trans due to it needing to 'push' harder... anyway, youre looking at 3000 rpm being around 25mph or so