Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017 | 11:45 AM
Old 06-30-2017 | 11:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle

i happen to be a Ford man, and loooooove the ford DOHC, but i dont consider it an option. two reasons:

A. its too wide. Dont think it would ever fit, even with cast iron exhaust manifolds.

B. The reason the Trailhead conversion is viable is because it utilizes the factory rover engine control systems, as well as the factory accessories. The coyote has variable cam timing, more sensors, a completely different accessory bracket orientation, etc. etc. You would have to either completely ditch the factory rover ECU and Tranny controller, or find a way to piggyback them on a Ford ECU. neither of which would be very fun unless you had a full shop facility and a bunch of R&D time.

would be one of those "well ive got about 20k laying around and ive put a coyote in everything else i own.... so f*ck it, hold my beer"

Old 06-30-2017 | 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
i happen to be a Ford man, and loooooove the ford DOHC, but i dont consider it an option. two reasons:

A. its too wide. Dont think it would ever fit, even with cast iron exhaust manifolds.

B. The reason the Trailhead conversion is viable is because it utilizes the factory rover engine control systems, as well as the factory accessories. The coyote has variable cam timing, more sensors, a completely different accessory bracket orientation, etc. etc. You would have to either completely ditch the factory rover ECU and Tranny controller, or find a way to piggyback them on a Ford ECU. neither of which would be very fun unless you had a full shop facility and a bunch of R&D time.

would be one of those "well ive got about 20k laying around and ive put a coyote in everything else i own.... so f*ck it, hold my beer"
I can dream.

The ultimate would be getting a motor and tranny, and convert to the little dial transmisson. Would love to have a 5 or 6 speed. Maybe we can find 30 grand sitting around.

That would be overkill, but the ls swap or a 5.0 or 5.2 would take care of the towing issue.

I think aside from keeping up on leaks, the next upgrade for my engine will be a reflashed ECU from Tornado or Storm Tuning. Easy on labor and the knuckles. I do want to learn how to weld to make a front bumper, and engineer an exhaust system to put on the Hedman headers.

Old 06-30-2017 | 01:06 PM
Mudding

Not really related, and no help at all, but this topic reminded me of this photo I took of my D2 a few months ago.

Attached Thumbnails Towing woes-stu-pulling-oc-e-car.jpg  
Old 06-30-2017 | 02:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by CollieRover
I can dream.

The ultimate would be getting a motor and tranny, and convert to the little dial transmisson. Would love to have a 5 or 6 speed. Maybe we can find 30 grand sitting around.

That would be overkill, but the ls swap or a 5.0 or 5.2 would take care of the towing issue.

I think aside from keeping up on leaks, the next upgrade for my engine will be a reflashed ECU from Tornado or Storm Tuning. Easy on labor and the knuckles. I do want to learn how to weld to make a front bumper, and engineer an exhaust system to put on the Hedman headers.

a 6 speed would definitely be nice.

Ill tell you what motor i would consider, if fab time and money were no option. The 96-98 Cobra motor. Italian Teksid block, good for 800 hp. Heads that love boost, and traditional cam timing. I'd put that motor in anything though lol.

Old 06-30-2017 | 02:28 PM

a 6 speed would definitely be nice.

Ill tell you what motor i would consider, if fab time and money were no option. The 96-98 Cobra motor. Italian Teksid block, good for 800 hp. Heads that love boost, and traditional cam timing. I'd put that motor in anything though lol.
That sounds like the tix.

Old 06-30-2017 | 03:04 PM

Have you checked the trailer for free wheeling? Are the trailer brakes binding on? Is the D2 free running, i.e. the brakes not binding. The trailer overrun brakes often bind if not regularly used and serviced and rust in the drums sometimes causes binding brakes.

In all honesty I have towed a fully loaded trailer weighing 3500 kgs (7700 lbs) across France without problems and been up steep hills at 65mph and at 80mph along the level road so I reckon either your trailer or D2 has problems with binding brakes. Admittedly my truck is a TD5 diesel.

Old 06-30-2017 | 05:49 PM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Have you checked the trailer for free wheeling? Are the trailer brakes binding on? Is the D2 free running, i.e. the brakes not binding. The trailer overrun brakes often bind if not regularly used and serviced and rust in the drums sometimes causes binding brakes.

In all honesty I have towed a fully loaded trailer weighing 3500 kgs (7700 lbs) across France without problems and been up steep hills at 65mph and at 80mph along the level road so I reckon either your trailer or D2 has problems with binding brakes. Admittedly my truck is a TD5 diesel.
I think TD5 diesel is the operative word. Your comment about the brakes is well taken. I think I'm ok, but will check.
after spending the last three days looking at LR3's and the occasional pickup, my wife and I realize that what we really want to do is keep the old girl going. This 02 D2 has been the best and most reliable vehicle I've ever owned and I use it like a rented mule.
So given that, I need to find either some way to eke out some more horsepower from this 4.0 or go for re-power. The present engine is in excellent shape with new heads, timing gears, coil packs etc etc.

Question: what is an LS swap? And secondly is there a rebuilt or remanufactured 4.6 that can develop around 300 hp?

thanks

Old 06-30-2017 | 06:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by film842
I think TD5 diesel is the operative word. Your comment about the brakes is well taken. I think I'm ok, but will check.
after spending the last three days looking at LR3's and the occasional pickup, my wife and I realize that what we really want to do is keep the old girl going. This 02 D2 has been the best and most reliable vehicle I've ever owned and I use it like a rented mule.
So given that, I need to find either some way to eke out some more horsepower from this 4.0 or go for re-power. The present engine is in excellent shape with new heads, timing gears, coil packs etc etc.

Question: what is an LS swap? And secondly is there a rebuilt or remanufactured 4.6 that can develop around 300 hp?

thanks
LS swap is in reference to replacing the rover engine with an GM LS designation engine.

There are several "crate" 4.6 rover engines that will produce 300+ hp

Old 06-30-2017 | 06:35 PM
|
Drifting

LS swap is in reference to replacing the rover engine with an GM LS designation engine.

There are several "crate" 4.6 rover engines that will produce 300+ hp
thanks for the onfo.

Quick Reply: Towing woes