Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017 | 10:22 AM
|
Drifting
Default Towing woes

Just got a travel trailer that weighs 3000# and am realizing that my tried and true '02 disco is having a hard time towing it. This is a great disappointment mostly because I really love the disco and don't want to change.

It's the 4.0 engine and on hills and extended grades, I'm down to 2nd gear and less than 40. Temperature has run up to 210 On grades. On the freeway, it's usually hunting for 3rd gear.

Although I've got 160k on the clock, the trucks been well maintained and runs well.i do have an arb winch bumper but that's it.

I suppose that if I want to keep my truck, I'll just have to resign myself to driving slow. Only problem with that scenario is; am I tearing it up by towing with it?

Does having a 4,6 transplant makes sense?

Old 06-26-2017 | 11:05 AM
Pro Wrench

I have a newly rebuilt engine and was going about 25-30 mph up the grapevine on I5-S, towing a 5x8 ~1800 lbs trailer. I think thats the way its going to be.

Old 06-26-2017 | 08:06 PM
Camel Trophy

I dont understand the problems people seem to have towing with their D2s. Granted, I've got a 4.6 with a Kent H180 "Torque" cam, ported and polished heads and intake, CAI, and exhaust. That's largely offset by the bigger tires and the weight I carry inside the truck, though.

I've towed as much as 7300 lbs. Without trailer brakes. Highway @ 60, up pretty solid inclines at 45-50, mountain roads withouhi much issue. Transmission got a little warm once, but I added a second factory cooler and she's happy as can be.

Having the 4.0 has something to do with it. The 4.6 is nice to have. Properly maintained cooling system is necessary. At the time I was towing a lot I had a 180* thermostat and it worked fine, but I've since switched to the inline setup with a 180* Chevy thermostat. Make that switch even if you're not towing.

I also swapped to an electric fan which is less load on the engine. That helps with temps and power when towing, also.

All that said, as long as your engine is staying cool... DONT FEAR THE RPM. I mean, be reasonable. With a trailer behind you. Don't stick your foot through the firewall, but don't be afraid to give her some gas. These engines, when maintained, are tougher than people give them credit for. I ran mine like a scalded dog when I was daily driving it. WOT from a stop 50+% of the time I wasn't towing. I did that for three years of daily driving. She holds up to rpm just fine as long as she's lubed up and staying cool. Higher RPM ain't no thang a couple minutes at a time. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge.

Old 06-26-2017 | 09:27 PM
Winching

Just to chime in on towing experiences, I've got a D2 with the 4.6 and i've also got 4.11 diff gears turning my 33" tires. My truck tows fine with no overheating issues. I'm towing a fleetwood E1 tent trailer that is probably around 3000 with all the gear and beer.

I hate to say this but if you are not happy with the D2 towing, you are probably better spending you $$$ on a decent pick up truck or another SUV. spending the money to drop in a 4.6 or the diff gears simply to tow would not be worth it....unless you are an excentric millionair...then its totally worth it, go fir it.

Attached Thumbnails Towing woes-unnamed-1.jpg  
Old 06-26-2017 | 11:21 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
Just to chime in on towing experiences, I've got a D2 with the 4.6 and i've also got 4.11 diff gears turning my 33" tires. My truck tows fine with no overheating issues. I'm towing a fleetwood E1 tent trailer that is probably around 3000 with all the gear and beer.

I hate to say this but if you are not happy with the D2 towing, you are probably better spending you $$$ on a decent pick up truck or another SUV. spending the money to drop in a 4.6 or the diff gears simply to tow would not be worth it....unless you are an excentric millionair...then its totally worth it, go fir it.
And if you are a millionaire I would hope you would pick a nice diesel swap instead of the 4.6.....

Old 06-26-2017 | 11:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Unfortunately, unless you are willing to invest in a 300hp/350TQ 4.6 build, you are pretty much stuck with doggy towing performance.

The d2 really doesnt lend itself to towing at all. I guess some of these guys do it a lot with no issues but I think they are the exception to the rule. They are rear heavy, which makes for washy steering when loaded down further with a trailer. The tranny cooler is inadequate for heavy work. The engine cooling has been solved more or less but there's nothing to be done about the lack of power unless you are ready to spend 8-10k

Old 06-27-2017 | 07:27 AM

I also had some heat issues towing with mine. It was a very hot day, but I did get to 210-216. Kept it to 65/70, and it did not get hotter. It would spike a bit up hill.

I want to put an oil cooler on for this reason. I'd like to tow a teardrop trailer eventually. May do headers, as well, to get the heat out faster.

Old 06-28-2017 | 09:49 AM
|
Drifting

So I talked to a good shop yesterday about engine replacement. Opinion seems to be that just replacing the 4.0 with a 4.6 is problematical in that the 4.6 has it's own issues and only offers a modest increase in horsepower. Did not get a cost on that. On the other hand, a remanufactured 4.6 that can develop 300 plus horsepower can be done for $11-12k.

So, here I sit with my '02 discovery with 160k on the clock wondering which way to go. Shopped pickups but wife doesn't want to drive one. Looked at some used LR3's but don't like the feel as much and they're all going to need their own expensive repairs sooner or later.

So, new engine in aging vehicle probably. I'm headed into the shop tomorrow to talk about what other bits in my truck I need to keep my eye on after the engine replant.

Old 06-28-2017 | 11:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle

If you did all the work yourself, including engine assembly and suspension/running gear work, you could build a basically new and improved rover. That would rarely give you any issues and those would more than likely be random electrical.

3k for a Turner short block (this solves the 4.6 shoe comings), Porter heads and cam is another 2k is. $300 for headers and another $300 for a good tune to bring it all together. Say another $500 for gaskets and maybe a water and oil pump.

Then on to suspension. 2k for new axle shafts. 2k for lockers. 1k for stronger ring and pinions. $300 roughly for new bearings and seals.

This doesn't cover driveshafts but personally I would prefer to keep the rotoflex and smaller front u-joints as the weak points. You can change them on the trail with ease.

Old 06-28-2017 | 04:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Call up Trailhead 4x4 and get an LS swap going!

Quick Reply: Towing woes