Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Rod kit - universally out of stock?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 11:25 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by wreckdiver1321
Not trying to pick a fight here, but just because all the vibrations went away when you put on a new damper doesn't mean that there wasn't another problem it was covering up.

Like I said, just saying.

And I've run plenty of modern 4x4s without a damper. Driving without a steering damper does not cause a death wobble.
Here Jeep officially acknowledges the notorious Death Wobble:
Chrysler acknowledges Jeep "death wobble" in technical service bulletin | abc7news.com

Meanwhile this article suggests that a worn steering damper can cause the death wobble among many other parts:
Responding To Pressure, Chrysler Posts Advice On 'Jeep Death Wobble'

A worn steering damper is not the sole cause but is a factor worth investigating if you have a vibration within the steering system. That was my main point here. Obviously many other things can cause your vehicle to wobble as mentioned in both articles. They even suggested that lift kits and off-road mods can trigger a wobble. Again Im only saying that a worn steering damper could potentially cause your vehicle to vibrate and wear out other steering components if not addressed. Regarding my former Jeep. Maybe replaceing the damper fixed the problem, maybe it did not. But the ride comfort greatly improved after I replaced it and the vibrations went away completely. What I can say is that I had 2 different shops perform a state inspection of the Jeep and no steering components appeared to be worn. Everything but the leaking gas tank passed which is why I had it re-inspected in the first place.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just one more reason not to buy a Jeep then!

Old 04-05-2013, 12:51 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my personal experience, the steering dampener on our trucks do make a big difference. When my was out, there would be a nasty vibration when going over bumps at freeway speeds. Every other component on the front end is in excellent shape. I replaced my Bilstein dampener with a TF shock and it was day at night. I am also running 265-75-16 Duratracs on stock 16" wheels.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

From the DII shop manual steering section.
Name:  SteeringDamper.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  28.3 KB

Old 04-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Amen. I had "discovered" my first encounter with the death wobble at 60 mph braking to exit on a sharp expressway curved exit. Needed to change my Depends. Put a new damper on, and some better, but really just covered up. Still had more repairs to do. If you think it is the damper just un-bolt it and test drive.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

It's never the damper.
The no-damper test drive is to just to verify that you've completed all the actual repairs needed. Or to verify that your damper is in fact masking the real problems.

To be clear, the damper helps prevent the steering wheel from jerking a lot when you hit something like a pothole. But if you then enter the death wobble condition, you have steering issues, not damper issue.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the steering damper just adds a bit a smoothness to the D2. Before I changed mine out, the wheels grabbed at ruts and the truck would want to follow them more. I did have a mechanic check over all my steering and suspension after I did my 2" lift and all was good. Remember this truck was marketed to city slickers as a moderately luxury vehicle.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Vehicles have come a long way since the 70's.
No, that's my point. Old school solid axle vehicles with conventional worm gear style steering boxes HAVEN'T come a long way. And most street driven cars don't have steering dampeners.

I will say that in my Defender, without power steering, I've had the wheel nearly ripped free from my hands while driving over something silly like an exposed root of a tree I was parking next to. If I didn't have the dampener, it's possible that it would have hurt me, because I wasn't expecting it.

Last edited by jafir; 04-05-2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
It's never the damper.
The no-damper test drive is to just to verify that you've completed all the actual repairs needed. Or to verify that your damper is in fact masking the real problems.

To be clear, the damper helps prevent the steering wheel from jerking a lot when you hit something like a pothole. But if you then enter the death wobble condition, you have steering issues, not damper issue.
I certainly agree with that statement. I had a 1989 F150 running a lift kit with extended radius arms and 33's. The first time that thing went into a death wobble it was pretty terrifying. It had no damper on it at that point, and had never exhibited any such behavior in the 60,000 previous miles it had been driven with the same setup. Not wanting to be bothered with tearing into the front end to do the ball joints, I slapped a damper on there and was good to go for another year before I scrapped it.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

My HD Terrafirma Steering Bars Arrived today

Thanks, Justin.

Quick Reply: Track Rod kit - universally out of stock?