Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking down new air leak and diagnosis of codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 10:19 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Tracking down new air leak and diagnosis of codes

Codes: p1412, p1415, p0300, p0303, p0306, p0305.

I found two potential issues under the hood, but Im not sure the name or part numbers for the parts.

Issue #1:

The end piece of this brittle plastic hose broke off where it attaches to the rubber hose. I used some plumbers tape to try and seal it up as seen in pic. Id like to replace this hose. Could it csuse any air leaks or trigger any check engine codes? What is the name and part number?

Issue #2:

There is a slight hissing noise coming from this part, that seems to blow out some air. It looks as though the unit is lose at the mid point of the part where the upper and lower sections of the part are bolted together. When I squeeze both ends together thr hissing and overall sound of the engine seem to change. The hissing also seems to go away after the truck warms up. Could this be causing the air leak or trouble codes? What is the name and part number?

You can just barely see one of the bolts that fasten this unit together, that region is where it feels loose.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:37 AM
TReK

Interesting development. I found the part number for the "secondary air pump":

WIB100030

When I search for the pump on Atantic British they offer two models. WIB100030 priced at $344.95 and listed as compatible for 99-02 only, and WIB000060G priced at $539.95 and compatible with 03-04 only. My truck is a 2004 and assuming the pump is original it has the WIB100030 part number. Not sure how to proceed. Maybe my pump can be repaired? Has anyone rebuilt one of these pumps? Or should I order the WIB100030 pump?

Old 10-23-2016, 10:51 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

You have 2 separate issues going but I don't think they are related.

1412 and 1415 are SAI codes and most likely a vacuum leak so check all of the lines. I had these two codes once when the small line was disconnected from the vac reservoir. You can see the reservoir in your first pic. Black canister mounted above the pump, about the size of a can of soup. It should have a hose connected to each end. If these are ok, it could be the solenoid mounted on the other side of the intake behind the throttle body.

The 300's are all misfire codes. 300 being random, the others referring to individual cylinders (305 = cyl 5, etc.). Could be wires, plugs, coils, head gasket, etc., etc.. What other symptoms are you seeing?

Old 10-23-2016, 11:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

What leads you to believe that your SAI pump is bad?

Air leaks can cause all kinds of weird running issues. First order of business should be to replace the leaking hose(s).

Old 10-23-2016, 12:23 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
What leads you to believe that your SAI pump is bad?

Air leaks can cause all kinds of weird running issues. First order of business should be to replace the leaking hose(s).
Read above lol. Air is spewing from the area above the secondary air pump. When I push the assembly section tight the air stops spewing a the engine sounds different. Not sure if the hose is leaking.

The secondary air reservoir canister was replaced afew years ago with new part.

I suspect the enhine misfiring has been taken care off because the cats dont glow red anymore and the check engine light does not flash. But I also suspect the cats were damaged and need to be replaced thus causing fault codes.

Last edited by TRIARII; 10-23-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Read above lol. Air is spewing from the area above the secondary air pump. When I push the assembly section tight the air stops spewing a the engine sounds different. Not sure if the hose is leaking.

The secondary air reservoir canister was replaced afew years ago with new part.

I suspect the enhine misfiring has been taken care off because the cats dont glow red anymore and the check engine light does not flash. But I also suspect the cats were damaged and need to be replaced thus causing fault codes.
I may have missed it as I'm reading on my phone, out wrenching on my 109 today, but I didn't see evidence of a bad pump, just an air leak that appears to originate form a hose(s)

one thing that does happen with the sai is that the rubber fasteners that stop it shaking about and vibrating do perish and tear.

why not pull the sai pump so you can take a look at it in a warmer and more comfortable environment?

Old 10-23-2016, 04:11 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
I may have missed it as I'm reading on my phone, out wrenching on my 109 today, but I didn't see evidence of a bad pump, just an air leak that appears to originate form a hose(s)

one thing that does happen with the sai is that the rubber fasteners that stop it shaking about and vibrating do perish and tear.

why not pull the sai pump so you can take a look at it in a warmer and more comfortable environment?

No worries. Im gonna try to replicate the conditions I described and get it on video. In the mean time can anyone tell me what the part number is for the plastic hose in the first pic? The one I used plumbers tape on? Id like to look it up and replace. May be replacing the SAI pump to but waiting to hear back from John Craddock ltd.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:12 PM
TReK

Air leaks out of the SAI pump while the pump is running after a cold startup. Once the truck warms up the pump kicks off like normal and the air leak stops spewing from the pump. The leak is close to the rivit visible in the pic below. This leads me to believe more than ever that the sai pump is the culprit behind the air leak. Ive read that some air leaks in the system can be linked to lean codes, inncorrect fuel consumption and engine misfires.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:14 PM
TReK

Can someone give me the part number for this hose? Looked at the diagrams on Rovers North website but no luck identifying this hose. I want to replace it along with the SAI pump. Thanks in advance.

The hose with the brittle plastic ducting (not the wiring harness).

Old 10-24-2016, 06:58 PM
Winching
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

From rovers north: Model #: WAH100150 or AB:WAH100150G
Had to replace this about 6 months ago myself. Very brittle after 12 years.

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (10-24-2016)

Quick Reply: Tracking down new air leak and diagnosis of codes