Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer wiring

I hope someone can help! I have wired my 2000 Disco II using the kit form WalMart (with the converter) listed in another thread. I have wired it with a 4-wire flat plug. I don't have the trailer yet so I used one of the plug in testers. My question is, when I have the parking lights off the tester flashes properly when I use the directionals. The brake light also tests fine with the parking lights off. When emergency flashers are on with the parking lights off all tests fine.

When I turn on the parking lights the appropriate light on the tester lights. With the parking lights on and the directionals on (either side) no other light on the tester flashes or lights to show the directional.

I have read on another post that this could be a bad ground. I have the ground from the 4-wire flat to the black ground from the LR plug. Should I try grounding to the frame?

Can anyone tell me the light patterns I should see on the little plug in 4-wire tester? Should a light flash on the tester when the parking lights are on and the directional is turned on?

I can't buy a rover kit as the plug behind my tail light for the trailer harness was cut off by the previous owner (unless anyone knows where to get a new plug!).

Any help would be appriciated.

Art

Old 03-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Trailer wiring

I've never used a test plug. Make very sure that you have a good ground. Who knows what sort of shape the ground wire from the old plugis in. It sounds like you don't have a good ground and the lights are able to ground through each other somehow; when the running lights are on, the ground is goneso nothing works. It's been a few years since I've monkeyed with wiring, but strange problems are usually the ground and without looking at it,that's what it sounds like.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry to say, but for $70 you could have bought the "plug-N-play" wire harness from Atlantic British and not have had any problems.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He can't use the plug and play because previous owner cut the wires. You should always connect a ground to the body also. You can never have too much ground. Also 70.00 dollars for a simple wiring harness is criminal.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the constructive responses regarding the ground. I will remove the ground that comes from the converter and connects to the original ground wire from the original LR connector and ground that to the frame and see if that works.

As far as the $70.00 plug and play, if the ground from the harness were bad I would have the same issue either way. I have read many posts of people using the same solution that I am using with no difficulties. The kit I used cost $13.00 dollars and took 30 min of my time.

I'm sure that a simple wiring connection is the issue and I will get it figured out in another 30 min.

Again, thanks to those who offered their help and thanks to Spike555 eho felt compelled to tell me I made the wrong decision (without reading the actual circumstances about my situation).

I guess I'll take this as a learning experience and be able to help others save money in the future!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:44 PM
7th Gear

I'm having a similar issue with wiring. I have a small trailer with electric brakes that comes witha 7 pin connector. I'm having a hard time finding a kit that comes with the 7 pin connector. I see a lot of the 4 pin, but when I called the dealer they priced me one for 218.00 which they said came with both a 4 pin and 7 pin connector, but could not tell me if this kit would a simple plug and go kit or if I would have make some wire splicing. Is there a cheaper kit than the one the dealer quoted me?

Another option would be to buy the kit Atlantic British offers for 100 bucks and use magnetic brakes.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a thread that gives you the color code for the wires. This only takes about two hours of your time and will save you considerable money. And yes it works absolutely fine has been on mine.

I bought a wiring kit from Wal Mart for 17$ and spliced into the plug behind the tail light. If I remember correctly you have to get the universal kit for independent turn signals and connect the colors as follows:

LAND ROVER WIRING

-

WALMART KIT

GREEN with WHITE Stripe

RIGHT TURN

GREEN

GREEN with RED Stripe

LEFT TURN

YELLOW

RED with ORANGE Stripe

TAIL / PARK

BROWN

GREEN With PURPLE Stripe

BRAKE

RED

BLACK WIRE

GROUND

WHITE
[/align]
[align=right]
(in reply to NW_rockhound) [/align]

Report | Post #: 7

RE: Trailer wiring, possible? - 12/5/2007 7:11:09 PM

The following users liked this post:
HuskerRover (06-07-2020)
Old 03-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi Seaosrover,

That is exactly how I have it wired. Everything works fine if the parking lights are off. If I turn on the parking lights I lose the directionals. Brake light always works.

Several people here have said it sounds like a ground problem. I am going to take the ground wire from the walmart kit and attach that to the frame and see if that helps. Maybe the ground in the Disco wiring is causing me a problem.

I bought the exact kit you mentioned from walmart, same one as from this post:

http://discoweb.org/trailerwire/index.htm

Old 03-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would update on my wiring situation. Wired it all up with the WalMart $13.00 plug. Put a better ground. All works perfect with the new ground. Got a 4 wire to 7 pin round adapter from Kragen (converts the original 4 wire flat toa device that has both a 4 wire flat plug and the 7 round.

Pluged that in, ran the wire from that to the trailer brakes and controller and it is perfect!

COst was $13 for the disco converter (WalMart) and $24 to add the plug from Kragen that lets me use either the 7 round for my traile or a 4 wire flat for my boat.

$37.00 and one hour of my time and now I am set to tow either trailer without having to spend the ridiculous $$ for the LandRover solution (which would still require a converter to go to a 7 pin Bargman type connector used on most US RV trailers.

Sorry for the long post but I am just excited that it is all working perfectly!