Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny pan bolt ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny pan bolt ?

99 disco II
have had some leaks so going through everything to narrow it down. Must have a seal between the tranny and gear box gone as I'm leaking both pretty good all of a sudden. Was dripping here and there for a while but now quit a bit more. Anyway had a little trouble going into gear so I knew the fluid was low ( been topping it off now for a few months) and went to turn the fill plug and a piece of lead came out and it just spins? any suggestions other than a new pan? None available other than on-line so kinda stuck with no vehicle until I can order one today. Any other fill locations such as removing a line or other creative ideas so I can get enough in there until re-fill ? One thought would be to drain, remove pan, jb weld fill hole and drill in another generic fill plug I can get locally for $7.
Thanks!!!!!

Old 07-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Call Paul Grant, his number, he can sell you a used one for a good price.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Mudding

thanks!!!! I'm in Denver as I believe you are......

Old 07-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Call Paul and see what he can sell you one for then hit the local yards and see what you can find locally.
Any questions, lets talk.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

also - a lot of parts stores sell "fix the problem" drain bolts, some with toggle, some with oversized rubber plug that expands. People strip all kind of oil pan and tranny pan bolts. Stop by parts counter and moan about, they probably have a dozen different types.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:50 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you can get rubber drain plug and rubber freeze plugs in all sizes at local auto parts stores

Old 07-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Mudding

Thanks for all the responses! I really like this disco but it has a myriad of annoying things that need addressing. I bought it last year for $2500 only because the guy had put in a used engine with 100k on it. It runs smooth and strong and actually gets over 15 mpg. Interior is near mint, with hardly any wear, and the exterior is almost perfect except for a little hood fading however I'm seriously considering ( due to all the leaks that would need some serious doing to fix) dumping it for cheap and starting over.
Since I have allot of the experts chiming in on this thread what's your opinion on the 98 disco I vs. the 99 disco II ? Can pick one up in Denver for under 3 grand. Now that I know what to look for in a used Disco ( and now know how or what I could fix ) I would feel confident on buying another one. Thanks for your opinions.......

Old 07-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

What are the other annoying things? Any Disco with any age will have something that needs attention, so you could be buying more.

BTW, one of those swanky hood black out decals covers a lot of real estate.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Mudding

the big issue is the leak between the gear box and the tranny....both leak in unison which sucks because my driveway looks ghetto and my garage is full with other cars and a boat.
no front plastic bumper (which I was a dumb *** when I bought this not knowing they were rarer than plutonium) , paint fade, windows work when they want too, crappy tunes, key fob just broke, key master for drivers door has a sweet spot as does the ignition, right head light cracked, no radiator trowel and mmmm idk im sure there is something else. like I said a bunch of little crap but it is straight and runs great. tows well etc......oh and the 3 amigos which I will do soon with the sticky fix ( found duct tape on the led's in the cluster 6 months after I bought it. called the guy and he played dumb of course saying " must have been the last guy".........sound par for a Rover ?

Old 07-15-2013, 09:58 AM
Mudding

Well needing to get the car on the road asap I went with my gut instincts and removed the pan. Cleaned it all up, plugged the original fill hole from the inside ( keep in mind the bolt was stuck in there and no matter what I tried - even with the pan out - it would just keep spinning) with liquid steel epoxy putty for high temp and oil use and drilled in another fill plug. Reassembled and filled and she is good to go until I get around to finding another pan.
thanks for all your input!