Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny and PS pump ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 12:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny and PS pump ?'s

I just bought another D1, this time a 95' with 200K on it, I rescued it from cash for clunkers. It has some issues obviously and I need some help on some diagnosis.

Issue 1- Power steering pump was making a horrible noise and was hard to turn the wheel, Bought a rebuilt pump and replaced it today. Ran good for about 1 minute then now it does not make any noise but I cannot get it to turn the wheels with out getting a work out. I have read about the air in the system and I have not bled it but would that cause the steering to be so hard?

Issue 2- Transmission has a hrad time going into reverse sometimes. I am thinking maybe a linkage problem since when it does go in it runs just great and no slippage when driving. Any ideas of what to really look for or am I on the right track. I am really hoping to get this going this Sat. so any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:41 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You have to bleed the air or you are going to kill your pump if you have not already. On the transmission you need to change the gear oil in the differentials and transfer case and change your ATF fluid.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

More information would be good, how many miles on the truck, what does the tranny fluid look and smell like and how much did you pay for it???

Old 08-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle

As I said above it has 200K miles on it. I got the truck for $700, talked down from $1k. The truck actually came with all the history and service from when they purchased it in 2000 so I felt fairly confident in what had been done to it already in service. I knoew the tranny was having some problems since it was slow to get going, topped up the fluid and solved that problem. I also knoew that the PS pump was gone since they just had it in to the shop and they said that was what prompted them to sell now. Thier son was driving it and they felt it would not be reliable for him. Almost forgot, the tranny fluid looked decent and did not smell burnt or aything.

It probably has never been off road and the transfer case has probably not been shifted in the last 5 years, I have already cleaned that and got it shifting better. I am working on it all day today starting with bleeding the air form the PS Pump and draining and cleaning the screen on the tranny, doing general maintenence as well.

Thanks for the help and ideas.

Last edited by handsome rob; 08-08-2009 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Forgot some info.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Start on my service list post at the top of this section. Make sure to start with a full tranny service first before it fails.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Rob, here is what you need to do.
Make sure there is no air in the power steering system, if there is no air in it then it is the steering box that is bad.
Make sure that you are using Dexron III in the power steering.
As for the transmission, you said that you topped it off and now it is fine, this is good.
I would recommend that you change the transmission fluid and filter.
When a auto trans gets low on fluid or the filter is clogged reverse is usually the first gear to go.
Are you going to sell this truck or keep it for a weekend toy?

Old 08-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well I did some work today on it. I took the tranny pan down and cleaned the filter, it was pretty dirty, filled it ran it for a while then did it again. The tranny works great now, it wasnt going into reverse before but now it is good.

I also was able to get the transfer case working well.

The power steering pump is still giving me issues. I have bled it five times now and still it will work intermittently, but really now it will not work. It is possible I got a bad pump or I guess it could the steering gear box since the pump does not make any noise.

This one will be just another car for me to have around, I will probably let my brother in law drive it. I already have another D1 and a P38 so I probably will never drive it. I really want to turn my P38 into a full blown off-road expedition vehicle instead of the D1 just because there are not as many out there doing it. I want the challenge.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Team Owner

You really need to change the trans filter, you cant clean them.

Where did you get your power steering pump? If it was from a discount autoparts store and not a LR P/S pump then yes, it could be bad already.
There was a guy on here from Canada a few months ago with a DI, 3 p/s pumps before he finally got a good one.

If the steering box is bad then it will be hard to turn the wheel at low engine speed but should be easier at high engine rpm.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I did get the pump from Napa so it is not a genuine LR. I will probably just keep swapping it out and see what happens since I am out the money already and it will just be my time, they are not that hard to do.

I wanted to buy the filter for the tranny but I did not have time for Atlantic British and so I went to the dealer. It was $100 which I did not mind spending but they reccomended that I do not buy one. Thr filter is a screen and does not have an element inside but just a grid pattern that it screens through. I pulled it off and cleaned it in a parts washer until it was completely clean and then reinstalled, ran the truck for a bout an hour and then did it again. It has shifted flawlessly since.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Team Owner

That trans filter is totally different than mine, mine looks just like the filter in any other auto trans, I bought the one that AB sells for $35? after I bought my truck.
I would recommend changing it, order it and then change it sometime in the future, does not have to be today, but I would do it before the end of the year.

With a p/s pump from NAPA it is probably good, the ones from AutoZone are junk, I have never gotten a bad part from NAPA...but anything is possible.

Quick Reply: Tranny and PS pump ?'s