Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny pump

2001 disco, 62,000 miles

I just changed the tranny filter and am wondering if it is possible to over tighten the screws on the plastic pump to the filter. It should be 6 lbs of torque, but I did it to be snug with a regular drive. If I over tightened would the plastic have broken at the time, or will the heating of the ATF possibly cause a fracture in the plastic. Or am I just being overly worried?

Also, prior to changing the fluid I had no ATF leak. Now I have a leak through my oil drain hole area. Is there anythng I can do to fix this. Should I get a new washer and/or plug?

And lastly, due to the hoorible color of ATF during the change, I will be doing it at least one more time. Can anyone recommend a good fluid pump? The one I used was horrible, it left at least a 1/3 in each quart and pumped really slowly.

BTW, I used Castrol dexron III, is this good. The shop said it was. Did not go synthetic.

Thanks,
Concerned.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: tranny pump

i wouldnt worry too much about the pick up, i use a 3/8 impact to tighten those up. when you do it again, sounds like it should be pretty soon, i suggest making sure that you get the kit, not just the filter, youll get net o-rings and crush washers, whichll fix your leak, and you dont want those o-rings going bad, itll cause shifting issues

Old 02-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have changed my fluid 5 times over the course of having the truck now, and have flipped the washer each time. Sounds like you need a new one. I just used a cheap plastic pump to do my diffs and transfer case ( I have a dipstick hole for the tranny). It is red and has 2 hoses coming off you can cut to length.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:50 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a simple hand pump for filling a outboard motor with grease to do my diffs and transfer case because it fits the 1 quart gear lube bottles. Pepboys, where I got my pump, also sells a pump to fit the 1 gallon containers if that is what you have. Works well and didn't leave a lot in the bottle but is a very short pump stroke so requires a lot of pumping. Still easier than trying to maneuver the bottle to gravity feed.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You will never completly empty a oil bottle with a pump.
Take your "empty" oil bottles and pour into one another, so 2 empty gear lube bottles will net almost a half quart of gear lube.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

roverguy,
I did use the filter kit. It came with 2 O rings and two washers. When I looked at the manual all I saw was replacements for the two O rings, so I tossed the washers. Didn't know one was for the drain plug. What is the copper one for. I will be chaning the fluid again this weekend. Will replace with a new washer and drain plug ordered through the dealer.

tried the pump. What a pain in the A@#. Changing qt. half fill and Mixing. Can't tell you the mess I left behind.

Anyone use the gallon + 2 quarts in stead of the 6 qt's. Might this be easier on the refill of do you get more through the quart containers per pump?

Thanks

Old 02-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The copper washer is what seals. It is the one I flip. You should have one on your engine oil plug as well.

Copper is soft and will crush to seal the opening.