Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans canada/alaska drive,,,

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 06:25 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default trans canada/alaska drive,,,

so i have decided that when and if i survive this economic crash and money gets good again i am gonna outfit my rover to drive from seattle to the northern most tip of alaska and home again as a life adventure.

my question is what is the required tools and equipment to do such a journey?

i imagine most of the way is paved and or rocks/gravel roads. snow and ice.

so what are the necessary things for such a drive? not the overkill stuff that costs WAY too much.

im thinking a build out budget of about $3k and the rest of it for fuel and service if needed.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snow tires and chains. Maybe a thick coat...or something cute to keep you warm :-)

Old 06-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Mudding

Don't forget the camera!!!!!

Old 06-23-2009, 06:30 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i was just reading a site about the drive. it sounds like it is really no big deal. have chains, extra gas, and clothes for many conditions.

does not sound as backwoods as one would think

Old 06-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Mudding

The scenery would be really cool! What time of the year you planning to go? Sounds like the trans-Alaska hywy has been improved in the last several years. 15 yrs ago the trip would have required alot more planning and equipment.

Will we see you on the "Ice Truckers" show?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Summer you will need something for the mosquitos.
Some camping gear bear canister for the food.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:30 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

IT all depends on what time of year you plan to do your trip. I grew up in Alaska (hence the AK in my screen name) and have traveled between Alaska and the lower 48 many times. I have traveled most of the road system in Alaska but have not had the opportunity to drive the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay. I've been up there but I always flew on the charter flight when I worked in the oil fields in Prudhoe Bay.

Mosquitos are the Alaska state bird so go prepared. Anything that smells good doesn't work. You want the bug dope that can double as paint remover.

Summer, it's a pretty easy drive. I have not driven the Casiar Highway yet but the Alcan is completely paved now. Personally I thought it was a better road when it was gravel but they're trying to get more tourist up that way. You still need to go prepared for extreme weather and isolation. There are many stretches that you won't see another vehicle or any sign of civilization for 100 miles. You can hit snow in the middle of summer in the higher elevations. Carry camping gear, extra water and your basic survival gear. You can't take handguns through Canada so I would suggest a short-barreled 12 gauge shotgun for bear defense. In all reality, if you use your head and think things through bears won't be an issue. Don't keep food out in the open, lock it up in the vehicle. If you're ever approached by a bear, give them the food or fish or whatever you have that it might want. Food can be replaced, your life can't.

Winter is a whole different story. Lots of extremely warm clothes. -40 or colder is no joke. It doesn't take long for frostbyte and hypothermia to set in. Believe it or not dehydration is one of the biggest killers in the winter so once again have plenty of water. Figure out how much food and water you think you'll need and double that amount. The body needs food to produce heat and keep you alive. Good tires are a must and some areas will require chains. Always carry a shovel for digging out of snow. If you get stuck or stranded, stay with your vehicle. Eventually someone will show up but if you're not with your vehicle they can't help you.

If you plan to drive to Deadhorse, make sure to watch Ice Road Truckers so you can get an idea what to expect on the Dalton Highway. You should also consider driving the Dempster Highway in Canada. I'm pretty sure that one actually goes a little further north.

Last edited by AK Rover; 06-23-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol well my build for overland travel is going to have a lot of crap i won't need. Toughbook computer for Rave CD, GPS, music, and other stuff. gas cans, water jugs, back up power cell and/or solar, camping gear, tools, air tank/compressor, the list is way to long. it's going to take a little longer than i thought (economy), but when it's done I should be able to self sustain for a couple weeks. thats why i got the ol' 763 OME springs for the rear =)

Old 06-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a aunt and uncle who did this very trip but only starting from here in MI, they did it in a 3/4 ton Chevy 4x4 pulling a pop up camper, took them 4 months round trip and they were taking there time.
Its no big deal.
Once they got to the end of the road, literaly the end of the road, they set up camp and stayed for 3 days.
They have a small Honda generator for charging the campers batteries as well as running the coffee pot and the like.
Gas is the big thing, when the sign says "last gas for 100 miles" they mean it.
Give me a few years and I'll go with you, thats one of my trips in planning too.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

General rule, especially in Canada, stop every chance you get and top off the tank. It's better to take 15 minutes and top off the tank even though you got gas 100 miles ago than to run out of gas in the middle of no where.

Quick Reply: trans canada/alaska drive,,,