Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans canada/alaska drive,,,

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on doing a trip (at some point) up the Dempster Highway to Inuvik. Haven't decided if I will do it in the Summer or Winter. I would only go during the winter as a multi vehicle expedition. I'm probably leaning towards doing it in the Summer, but I do plan on going all the way up to the Arctic Ocean, and it would be cool (no pun intended) to drive up the Mackenzie River ice road to Tuktoyaktuk. Otherwise you have to hop a short flight.

Money and the time to make the trip are the only hurdles!

Not a Land Rover, but a good video of a couple driving their VW Westfalia up the Dempster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjx7oidhNSI

Old 06-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanna go

Old 06-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was gonna say but someone beat me to it:

Jerry Cans. And lots of them.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:20 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tornado_735
I was gonna say but someone beat me to it:

Jerry Cans. And lots of them.

you know,,,

we can plan this long enough out to make a trip out of this for several of us.

like all meet in vancouver bc and head north together. plan a year or so out. would be bad ***,,,

i was gonna say in regard to the quoted post of jerry cans,,, i was gonna mount my spare on my rack. and buy or make a jerry can holder to go on the spare tire mount.

i think the most i need to do is upgrade my suspension. get 16" wheels and good AT tires.

stop and camp together along the way. would be cool as hell

Old 06-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's gonna take a hell of a lot of money though.

You know, I'd be up for it though.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:53 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolkesan
I'm planning on doing a trip (at some point) up the Dempster Highway to Inuvik. Haven't decided if I will do it in the Summer or Winter. I would only go during the winter as a multi vehicle expedition. I'm probably leaning towards doing it in the Summer, but I do plan on going all the way up to the Arctic Ocean, and it would be cool (no pun intended) to drive up the Mackenzie River ice road to Tuktoyaktuk. Otherwise you have to hop a short flight.

Money and the time to make the trip are the only hurdles!

Not a Land Rover, but a good video of a couple driving their VW Westfalia up the Dempster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjx7oidhNSI
Even in summer I wouldn't drive the Dempster without at least one other vehicle. That road can turn from a decent gravel highway to a mud pit very quickly. I've seen vehicles come off that road with easily 500 pounds of mud stuck to the vehicle. We actually chipped away over 2 inches of mud from one vehicle just to see what color it was.

My parents are actually going to driving the Alcan here in the very near future since dad got offered a job back in Kenai. It's going to be really tough to see them go back to Alaska and not be able to go with them. As soon as I have a job lined up in Alaska I'll be heading that way also.

Last edited by AK Rover; 06-24-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle

i'm so down for this trip... its a trip of a lifetime... i guess i will have to start putting money away for the next year or so, and make sure the rover is it top form, for me it would be a trip from the gulf coast of the US allllllllllll the way up....

Old 06-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Shortbus you dont own a warm enough jacket for this trip.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:48 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
you know,,,

we can plan this long enough out to make a trip out of this for several of us.

like all meet in vancouver bc and head north together. plan a year or so out. would be bad ***,,,

i was gonna say in regard to the quoted post of jerry cans,,, i was gonna mount my spare on my rack. and buy or make a jerry can holder to go on the spare tire mount.

i think the most i need to do is upgrade my suspension. get 16" wheels and good AT tires.

stop and camp together along the way. would be cool as hell
Mount a second spare on the rack. I try to always have at least 2 spares with me when I drive the Alcan. If you can find a tire shop that has the size tire you need in Canada be prepared to pay generously for it. Last trip I made I carried 2 spares and sold them when I got to Arizona. (I bought 2 used Cooper Discovery STTs with 80% tread mounted on black steel wheels for $100 each. My Dodge had 305/70s on it so I got 285/75s for my spares.)

If I'm not already in Alaska when this trip happens, I'm in. If I am up there already I expect you guys to stop in and say hi. I'll show you some good fishing holes on the Kenai River.

Last edited by AK Rover; 06-25-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
Shortbus you dont own a warm enough jacket for this trip.
theres loads of animals down here i can kill and take their skin and use it for warmth

Quick Reply: trans canada/alaska drive,,,