Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans, diffs and transfer case done. A couple questions:

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Trans, diffs and transfer case done. A couple questions:

Finished up tonight under the truck by doing the transmission fluid. I opted for now not to do the filter as I figured I would see how the fluid looked. To my surprise, it looked/smelled like it was fairly new. It looks like the pan has been off, so I figure it had a filter change recently. I was thinking about doing the fluid again soon, but maybe not as it looked good. Any thoughts on doing a second go plus the filter? I think they did it with a bunch of other stuff about 5K ago, so 2 changed in 5K sounds decent to me.
For the diffs, the oil in the front one looked pretty new as well. Original color for the most part. The transfer case was darker, and the rear diff looked to be the darkest. For those, would anyone recommend a second fill? FWIW, I used M1 75w90, and went through 6 qts between the 3 of them.
Finally, I checked all the u-joints and drive shafts. There was not one millimeter of play in any of them. I'm not sure if they are original or not. Any good ways to tell? Was there a brand name on the originals? Also, I did not grease anything yet. I did see the grease nipples on the rear shaft but that was all I saw. Any better grease to use?
Thanks!

Old 02-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

By the way, here is the trans fluid as it was coming out for a color reference.
Name:  utf-8BSU1HMDE3MzQtMjAxMTAyMTAtMjEyMC5qcGc.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  40.3 KB

Old 02-11-2011, 12:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Your trans fluid looked about about the same shade as mine, dark cranberry. I'm at 95k and had it changed at 60k with filter change.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:31 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The critical part about the front drive shaft is to check if EACH u joint has a grease nipple.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Bundu
The critical part about the front drive shaft is to check if EACH u joint has a grease nipple.
No, I don't think they were replaced with the serviceable unit if they were replaced at all. I'm just trying to figure out if they are the original ones or not. Any tips on greasing the rear one?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Greasing the rear drive shaft should be pretty easy.

Just grease the u-Joint then follow that by greasing the shaft's slip joint. To grease the slip joint, unscrew the plug in the DS near the joint, insert a zerk, grease the slip joint, then remove the zerk, and replace the plug.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put the grease gun on the grease nipples and pump until grease comes out at all 4 corners of the u joint, grease the slip joint until grease comes out at the rubber sleeve. Do the same on the front shaft where you can grease it.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GKN's the oem on the drive parts. It's amazing how much cleaning the Mo1 does. If it were me, I'd change it out again on the next oil change to get the crud out the Mo1 removed. Is it necessary? no. but I always err on the side of overkill.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by tee51397
GKN's the oem on the drive parts. It's amazing how much cleaning the Mo1 does. If it were me, I'd change it out again on the next oil change to get the crud out the Mo1 removed. Is it necessary? no. but I always err on the side of overkill.
I too don't mind a few extra bucks an an hour of time for prevention.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Bundu
Put the grease gun on the grease nipples and pump until grease comes out at all 4 corners of the u joint, grease the slip joint until grease comes out at the rubber sleeve. Do the same on the front shaft where you can grease it.
Any preferred grease you use? I need to see what I have in the gun now. It is what I use for the snowblower auger but it was automotive.

Quick Reply: Trans, diffs and transfer case done. A couple questions: