Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans oil temp sending unit replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans oil temp sending unit replacement

OK, after about a half an hour of removing various panels and replacing them, I finally found where the tranny oil temp sensor nd cooler are.

Now, how in the heck do I get into there to replace it? Do I really have to dismantle half the front end?

Thnks

Rob

Old 05-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Mudding

O, I guess nevermind... went through the rave manual again.... yes, I do have to dismantle half the front end... and even more since I have the full brushguard I have to remove it also.

Sounds like a project when I have an entire day... maybe I will replace the cooler itself since I will be tht far into it.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Nor sure why you are replacing the sender, but do yourself a favor and do a drain and fill giving your tranny some new juice.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The temp senders are known to be "iffy", but I think im right in saying you guys (NAS spec) have one in the Transfer case which is hooked to the same dash light, it "could" be that one thats being a pain.

As far as the front end one, I did mine by removing all the front end etc, pain in da bum tbh, However, after a recent pipe replacement for the Auto box cooler, I found........... or actually noticed a little panel in the wheel arch, and have a look whats behind it, I think its DEF possible to change the sensor without disturbing the front end at all.

The following users liked this post:
Maa45069 (06-20-2018)
Old 05-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Nor sure why you are replacing the sender, but do yourself a favor and do a drain and fill giving your tranny some new juice.

Did that first, with aa new filter... took out about 6 quarts and replaced them..... light still comes on.... sometimes 3 miles down the road, sometimes 30 miles down the road..... still not towing or driving high speeds in hot wether... been 40s to upper 60s here the whole time... figured I would try the sensor and it couldn't hurt.

Did find the mounting bracket for the connection on the wiring at the top was broken and the wires were moving wherever they wanted.

But, this said, I am still planning on doing a drain and fill gain with more RP synthetic fluid and a quart of Lucas traanny oil additive

Old 05-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by urban panzer
the temp senders are known to be "iffy", but i think im right in saying you guys (nas spec) have one in the transfer case which is hooked to the same dash light, it "could" be that one thats being a pain.

As far as the front end one, i did mine by removing all the front end etc, pain in da bum tbh, however, after a recent pipe replacement for the auto box cooler, i found........... Or actually noticed a little panel in the wheel arch, and have a look whats behind it, i think its def possible to change the sensor without disturbing the front end at all.

sweet!!!!