Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans short shifts, brake pedal travel.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trans short shifts, brake pedal travel.

Hi, I am new to the forum. I bought my discovery in October 07 and I am having problems with the Transmission short shifting, badly. even under about half throttle it will shift to second at about 2,200 RPM and then go straight to third. I have to almost floor it so it won't short shift. I have been manually shifting it sometimes. Also is excessive brake pedal travel normal? It has excessive travel and then it feels like the brakes lose pressure. I have had it to the dealer at least 3 times and they tell me nothing is wrong, yet when I took the mechanic with me and let him drive he quickly noticed the problems. Has anyone had this experience? Thanks to all.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Trans short shifts, brake pedal travel.

Dealers do have a clue when it comes to trouble shotting a tranny problem, I would suggest you go to a small local tranny shop, have them plug in their scanner and drive the truck. Your tranny's shifting is regulated by the TCU and they can monitor it's signals.
As for the brake pedal, how many miles on your truck? Two things that will cause the soft pedal can be old brake fluid and or tired rubber brake hoses. A little bit of a soft pedal is normal but alot can be corrected.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Trans short shifts, brake pedal travel.

It has 69,000 miles on it. These people are really irritating me. I was an automitive mechanic and am now back into the heavy equipment mechanic industry and I can't believe the imcompetence I have experienced with the used car dealer that sold me the truck. The last time they took it to land rover and it seems nothing was fixed yet they are complaining about the bill. I think they only did a tune up on it. I am going to look now. I jsut got it back, none of the problems have been fixed, and I don't want to give the truck back because I love it! Thanks for the reply