Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans/Transfer case issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 11:49 AM
RBS
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans/Transfer case issues

2000 D2 SD 300k The truck will go into gear and after taking off the drive shafts the outputs on the transfer case will spin slowly. Before they would not and I have drained and filled with new fluid and new filter. Removed valve body and replaced it with a different one out if same year D2, it had quite a bit of gunk in it. Transfer case shifts high low fine and CDL out of an 04 shifts fine. I installed the harness from an 04 also, I don’t know about all the switches and the electrical part I might not have it all set up correctly the dash lights do not come on at all and no beeping. I am about to remove a trans cooler line to make sure the pump is working. Any help would be appreciated I need this truck moved so it’s fix or part out. Thank you.

Old 12-04-2020, 02:09 PM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

The shifting of the transfer case is entirely mechanical. Electrical connections don't have anything to do with it except for lockout solenoids, so if you're able to shift, then you're shifting the box.
Are you sure that your issue isn't in the transmission, rather than the t-case?

Old 12-04-2020, 03:40 PM
RBS
Three Wheeling

No Sir, I believe it’s the transmission probably because I know so little about the transfer case and it came out of an 04. So the wiring and switches are different and using the 04 harness, there seems to be a lot of places for me to mess it up. The trans has new filter, fluid, it was filled correctly and the the pump is pumping fluid. I don’t know why the output knuckles (fir lack of better term) will soon when I give it gas but they are easy to stop with just a little pressure.

Old 12-05-2020, 07:36 AM
TReK

You say that you believe it's the transmission, but I think you mean that it's actually not the transmission.
If you can stop the outputs rotating then it seems like you're not actually engaging in gear. Perhaps the lever cable mechanism needs adjusting. It's also pretty easy to open up the inspection plate to see inside the t-case to see if you can spot any problems.

Old 12-05-2020, 12:51 PM
RBS
Three Wheeling

I think it’s the transmission because of the amount of material I took out of the valve body and I did open the transfer car inspection cover and had someone shift high to low and it all looks good and works well. Now the linkage could be off but I feel like it clicks into each positively. I have to give it lots of gas to get the output yolks to spin just a little and I can stop them with my hand. I have another transmission but I’m not sure if it’s good and I am not looking forward to another trans swap on gravel. I don’t know much about the torque converter could it be spinning but not have enough fluid in it maybe. I’m grasping at anything to not have to do this swap. Thank you for you help.

Old 12-05-2020, 01:15 PM
TReK

So if you do think it's the transmission, why are you asking about the transfer case??

Old 12-05-2020, 03:13 PM
RBS
Three Wheeling

Because I don’t know much about either, I’m not real smart but I’m smart enough to know that I don’t know much about transmissions in Land Rovers.

Old 12-05-2020, 07:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,507 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I am assuming the truck will not move with the driveshafts in? Doubtful the problem is your transfer case, they are gear drive, so no possible slip. Problem is probably the front clutch on the transmission, known failure point on the HP22 from the early year D2's, at your mileage entirely possible. Source a low mile transmission from one of the facebook or forum breakers.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:02 PM
RBS
Three Wheeling

There is some power getting to where the drive shafts bolt to the transfer case they will spin slowly if I have it some gas. I can stop the movement with my hand. I do hear a spinning sound coming from the front of the transmission. I have a spare so I will replace it. Can the trans be pulled without removing the transfer case?

Old 12-06-2020, 01:50 AM
TReK

Since the internals of the transfer case are gear driven, there's no way for things to simply drift as you're describing unless something is seriously broken inside. However, the type of thing you're describing can happen with an automatic transmission.
The RAVE gives full details on the process for removing the trans. The transfer case has to be removed if the transmission is coming out, but both pieces can be removed together.