Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case clunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Transfer case clunk

While driving between 30 MPH and 55 MPH, if I take my foot of the gas quickly, and then push the gas pedal back in quickly, I get a clunk from the tcase when it disengages and reengages. It seems to be getting louder. If I gently apply pressure to the gas pedal, no clunk.

I opened the inspection port to take a look and put fresh 85w140 and no change. I did notice something on the gears I did not see in any other pictures on here, and don't know if it's related:

Normal Gears:

Name:  ScreenShot2013-04-25at83825PM_zpsb21a2557.png
Views: 3138
Size:  769.9 KB

My T-Case:

Name:  AVA_4309_zps9e80ff0c.jpg
Views: 2464
Size:  70.9 KB

Ayy ideas?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

what you are describing sounds like drive line slack. not sure what you are pointing to in the picture? you mean the nick in the gear?

Old 07-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Winching

Yes, in the picture the nick in the gear. Not sure if I should be concerned about that or not? Thanks for the info, I'll look into drive line slack.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks to me maybe something maybe fell off of the hi/low linkage internally, have you found
any metal where it shouldnt be? Slack and clunking in the drive line is a land rover thing, I can remember all of my dad old series iiia and 110 V8 rovers clunking all over the place. do you get any vibrations in you seat at any speeds? was there much metal on the magnet on the drain plug? have you ever taken off the inspection plate before? was that nick in the gear there before? I am no expert but these are the things would look at.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Winching

There was a decent amount of shavings in the magnet. The case was also leaking and low on fluid but that's fixed now. I don't think it had ever been opened before I bought the truck just a few thousand miles ago. I have replaced the front drive shaft, inspected the rear shaft, greased everything, changed diff fluids, and I don't have any play in the shafts outside of what is normal. I get no vibration while driving. It's one of those things that "feels" like it's probably normal for a rover, just wanted to ask and see if others experience this clunk while the tcase engages and disengages immediately on acceleration and deceleration. If I baby the gas pedal I don't get the noise at any speed.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

"Slack and clunking in the drive line is a land rover thing, I can remember all of my dad old series iiia and 110 V8 rovers clunking all over the place."

Taint so. I bought my first series IIa in 1963, and since that time, I later bought another series IIa, and a series III, NONE OF WHICH HAD ANY SIGN OF DRIVE LINE CLUNKING. My 2004 Discovery is as smooth as silk, not a tiny bit of drive line play or clunking, and I love the vehicle. However, I did once have a 1991 classic Range Rover, rebuilt the engine, and put well over 200,000 miles on it. IT DID HAVE A LOOSENESS OR PLAY IN THE DRIVETRAIN, AND DID
HAVE ANY IRRITATING CLUNKING DURING ALL OF THE MANY YEARS I OWNED IT. I TRIED, MECHANICALLY, TO GET RID OF IT, BY REBUILDING BOTH DIFFERENTIALS, AND ULTIMATELY DECIDED THAT THEY PLAY HAD TO BE DUE TO WEAR, OR SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE BORG WARNER VISCOUS COUPLING TRANSFER BOX, OR THE XMISSION.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

close it and fill it, see if its still clunking. service any other fluid you have not done since you bought it

Old 07-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar sound for a while till finally one day my front diff. blew. I simply put it into drive went to drive of and bang.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah I had a pretty nasty clunk, then my front diff went later on.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Winching

Any advice on what to look for on the diff for problems? Fixable or just replace?

Quick Reply: Transfer case clunk