Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case frozen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case frozen?

Hi all,
Got a 97 Disco I with auto trans. The Diff Lock lever doesn't move at all, reading through posts here and there that it is common for the linkage to freeze up if the diff lock wasn't engaged every month or so. I climbed underneath and had the wife try to move lever back and forth and saw where it is connected and everything looks rather clean up there (it is NOT in a good spot). Is there anything electrical that does the actual engaging/disengaging or is it all mechanical? I read in manual and online how to engage it and disengage it but it just doesn't move. I don't want to break it off. Do you think I need to remove console and strip the linkage down to nothing and lube it up good on reassembly?
Thanks for the advice

Old 01-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Transfer Case frozen?

Can you move the shifter from high to low, not low lock?
Most likely you will need to remove the console and clean, adjust and lube the linkage thru the top.
There is a tranny switch that will prevent the t/case from shifting into low thru a solenoid in the t/case, but I bet your is the linkage.
What ever you do, don't force the shifter or you will brake/bent the linkage.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the advice Mike.
It moves from front to back about a 1/2 inch but that is it. It doesn't "engage" in either position. If I remove the console will I be looking down at the linkage? It appeared from under the truck that it was further back, like below the floor boards of the back seat.
Bob

Old 01-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I have never had to do this because I have a D2, but from other posts and forums, that is whaqt you have to do. There will be a cover, held down with rivets, that will need to be removed.
Once you get it corrected, you'll be fine as long as you shift it once a month to keep it freed up.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Drifting

Thanks Mike, I'll give it a go once the weather warms up a little

Old 01-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The console is really fun to take out. You have to pull both shifter handles and then you can get to things to unscrew. The bottom boot for the T-case shifter is held on with rivets. You can access all of the linkage from there.

When you move it to the front, are you in neutral?

Old 01-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Drifting

Sounds like fun disco guy,
Yes I was in nuetral, tried while vehicle was moving 0-5 mph and stopped, made no difference. Only owned this Disco for a month so I have never actually done it, do you have to push the lever to the right or left before trying going forward or backwards? The lever doesn't move any way but I was just curious.
Bob

Old 01-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

normal driving is back and to the right. Moving it left locks the t-case and going forward is low. Going left can be done in any gear selection, but you should be stopped.

Here is a little write up someone did on a stuck difflock. Might help your investigations under the truck, but don't use the brute force he says. I would be gentle and find out what is wrong. Might help you to kno what you are looking at, and what you should spray, if you can get to it..

Old 01-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

When mine was froze I sprayed it with carb cleaner, let it soak, repeat. Did it about three times over 30 minutes.
Went up top and moved the CDL lever.
Went back under and sprayed with penatrent just like the carb cleaner. Then went up top and moved the lever.
Each time it moved easier, just drove the trk and kept moving the lever, and after a couple of days it worked just fine, even the CDL light on the dash lights up.
So now I spray it every time I change the oil and I move the lever once a month. I go through all four gears.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Mudding

I found these very detailed instructions with pics and it worked great for me.

http://home.twcny.rr.com/eeibooks/ro...codifflock.htm

Fred

Quick Reply: Transfer Case frozen?