Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case leak

Hey all,
So I have been battling a leaking transfer case for a little while now. I tried tightening the inspection plate bolts, moving up to 85-140 weight oil, and putting in White Sheppard but have had no luck (actually the white sheppard has made it worse). So, I was looking for a suggestion on my next step. I know I can tackle an inspection plate gasket replacement but the other gaskets in there are probably out of my range in terms of time, tools, and space. That means I need to first locate where the leak is coming from but I have had trouble doing so. I continually wipe all the oil off but I cannot seem to see exactly where it is coming from. Is there a dye or something I can put in there to help me locate the source? Also, what would be the going rate to reseal the case if it is something I cannot do myself going by the fact that I live in jersey where reputable shops get around $80-$100 per hour.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Go to a do it yourself car wash, spray your t/case with Gunk Gel Degreaser, let it sit for a few minutes and do a cold power rinse to find your leak. If you have time, do it to your entire under carriage.
Let us know what is leaking.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few places on the transfer that can leak, some can be repaired with the transfer in place and some require removal. First step is to clean it, you can use Mikes method or my method which is to spray it clean with brake cleaner (aerosol, available at any parts store). then fill the transfer up to the proper level and let it sit for a while. (don't drive it) inspect for leaks, if you don't see anything, then drive it around the block and inspect again. Once you find the leak, look at the RAVE section describing the various components on the transfer case. The repairs that can be made with it in the truck are the Bottom Cover Plate (the rectangular one with all the bolts) the front output seal (where the front driveshaft attaches) the rear output seal (behind the parking brake), the rear cover (big round thing) and the rear output housing (thought this one is relatively complicated). The ones that can't be done in place are the front output housing (including the "L" shaped cover on the side because you can't get the bolts out) and the intermediate shaft "O" rings (same reason). I just resealed mine a few weeks ago but had to take it out because the intermediate shaft was leaking. I have the advantage of having a lift and a transmission jack in my shop (and am a retired mechanic Ooops, technician). First step is to find the source and go from there.

Edit: FYI there are no gaskets on the covers and housings, they use FIPG (form in place gaskets AKA gasket in a tube, just make sure you get the kind for gear oil applications, there are a number of different formulas and using the wrong stuff will produce leaks in short order)

Last edited by Bkreutz; 07-18-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Three Wheeling

Okay so after listening to the advice, I went out and thoroughly cleaned my transfer case. I let it sit for a few days and can see that I am leaking from the bottom rear portion of the bottom cover plate and also from the front output housing. Both leaks are extremely slow .... the bottom plate drips probably once every 24hrs and the front output drips maybe once every three days. I was wondering .... and please don't bash me if this is ridiculous to say ... but it is possible to get some RTV sealant and spread it on the outside like caulk to stop the leak. I understand you would not stand much of a chance doing it this way if you had a fast leak because the oil would come out before the gasket had time to dry, but I feel like with a slow leak I may have a chance. Before I try it I would like to get some expert advice though.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I "fixed" the front crank seal leak on my engine years ago by using my finger and spreading RTV around the outside of the seal.
That worked for a couple of years.
I have since used the White Shepard and that has seemed to cure the leak completely.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks spike, I am going to give it a shot. I will let you know how I make out.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Just wanted to report back my findings. So far it has stopped the leak. I bought blue colored RTV sealant (for intake gaskets I believe) and placed it around the bottom cover and as much of the front output housing as I could get to. After a few days of driving it is as dry as a bone. It looks like it will hold up for a while given the way in which it has adhered. I am going to keep my fingers crossed Thanks for the help.