Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case Solenoid Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009 | 03:44 PM
|
4wd Low
Default Transfer Case Solenoid Removal

I can't shift into low range at the moment and am pretty sure this is the trouble. I understand there are two ways to tackle this. Remove the console and go from there or attack it from down under. Has anyone done this job and which route would you suggest?

2001 Discovery

Old 11-06-2009 | 05:31 PM
Administrator

When I had mine removed, my mechanic went at it from under the truck, reaching up above the t/case to remove the 4 bolts, in and out in 1.5 hours.
Do you know what the cover looks like, check out the attached picture showing the 4 bolts holding down the square plate with the round cylinder under it.
Just remove the plate, slip out the solenoid, clean the cover, reapply some sealant and bolt it back down.

Attached Thumbnails Transfer Case Solenoid Removal-t-case.jpg  
Old 11-06-2009 | 06:58 PM
Pro Wrench

i did mine from the top pulled the console out then the shifter, you can get to it but its a tight fit getting your hands down there, its one of those things where you can see it and grab it but not at the same time.

Old 11-09-2009 | 09:20 AM
|
4wd Low

Thanks for the advice.. May go at it from the bottom, Is this done with the transfer case still in place or does it have to be lowered a bit?

Old 11-09-2009 | 10:05 AM
Administrator

Usually you can get to it without dropping anything.

Old 11-14-2011 | 08:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Mike, does this include a 2004 transfer case that won't go into L? I have been working the shifter for two months trying to get it to shift from H to L and it just wont go. Once it gets in between I get a "bing" and a light in the dash which I take it means it is getting out of H and in between shifting but won't go the rest of the way into L. Should I just try to lube the cable more or try to remove the solenoid.

Old 11-15-2011 | 08:27 AM
Administrator

Odds are you have the same thing going on. That being said, I have seen a few t/cases over the years where the solenoid was OK, turn out to be the switch that sends the signal to the solenoid had failed but I bet over 90% are the solenoid.

Old 01-31-2012 | 09:44 PM
6th Gear
Default Solenoid

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Odds are you have the same thing going on. That being said, I have seen a few t/cases over the years where the solenoid was OK, turn out to be the switch that sends the signal to the solenoid had failed but I bet over 90% are the solenoid.
Disco Mike,

My low gear just got stuck (2002 Disco). How can I tell if it is the solenoid or switch? where is the switch located? PLease advice

Thanks

Mack

Old 02-01-2012 | 05:39 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by far4cges
Mike, does this include a 2004 transfer case that won't go into L? I have been working the shifter for two months trying to get it to shift from H to L and it just wont go. Once it gets in between I get a "bing" and a light in the dash which I take it means it is getting out of H and in between shifting but won't go the rest of the way into L. Should I just try to lube the cable more or try to remove the solenoid.
For '03-'04 the solenoid is in the selector lever assembly and not on the transfer case. Just so you're not looking for something that's not there.

Old 02-01-2012 | 09:16 PM
Three Wheeling

I pulled the solenoid out of my 04 by going at it from the top, and yes it is on the Hi/Lo selector lever as Tee said. There are different locations for different models apparently, so make sure you look for your MY in the Rave.
The Lucky 8 CDL install video makes it really easy to get your shifter assembly out. After that it is just a matter of pulling the solenoid, sealing everything back up and putting back what you tore out. You're gong to need a rivet gun though if you go in from the top. Do you plan to replace the solenoid or just remove it? I removed mine but it probably isn't the recommended course of action in a court of law.... or if you plan to sell your Disco in the future.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Solenoid Removal