Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case Solenoid Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013 | 04:22 AM

Hello guys i succesfully removed the selenoid in my Disco I 1998 but...surprise that i still cannot shift to low range, what can i do?, the shifter seems ok!

Thanks!!!

Last edited by Miguel Angel de la Cueva; 04-04-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Old 04-04-2013 | 07:38 AM
Three Wheeling

I'm pretty sure I have the exact same problem. I can coax the shifter out of high, but then I get the "Transfer case in neutral" idiot light on the dash. It seems to me that a bad solenoid would not allow you to shift out of high at all, but that's just a complete guess.

I am in the process of removing the center console so we'll see what I find. I managed to hit myself in the face with a screwdriver last night so I called it a day. I didn't want to get blood all over the Disco.

Old 04-04-2013 | 02:39 PM
Default Selenoid removal not working

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
When I had mine removed, my mechanic went at it from under the truck, reaching up above the t/case to remove the 4 bolts, in and out in 1.5 hours.
Do you know what the cover looks like, check out the attached picture showing the 4 bolts holding down the square plate with the round cylinder under it.
Just remove the plate, slip out the solenoid, clean the cover, reapply some sealant and bolt it back down.
Hello Mike, i removed mine succesfully from my 1998 DI bit i still cannot shift into low =( , any idea?

Old 04-04-2013 | 07:52 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw
I'm pretty sure I have the exact same problem. I can coax the shifter out of high, but then I get the "Transfer case in neutral" idiot light on the dash. It seems to me that a bad solenoid would not allow you to shift out of high at all, but that's just a complete guess.

I am in the process of removing the center console so we'll see what I find. I managed to hit myself in the face with a screwdriver last night so I called it a day. I didn't want to get blood all over the Disco.
This made my day! Glad I am not the only one that causes unusual bodily harm when performing Disco maintenance. Besides, a good amount of blood in the cab will make you look like a badass!

Old 04-05-2013 | 05:59 AM
Baja
Default looks like this guy found the answer to your CDL being frozen

you really have to watch the whole thing to appreciate it; grab a cup of coffee and sit back.
this proves that there are trailer parks in England too.

Last edited by drowssap; 04-05-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-05-2013 | 08:01 AM
Three Wheeling

Haha that was enjoyable.

Anyways....according to RAVE, the solenoid on the High/Low selector "prevents neutral from being selected on the transfer box when the ignition key is removed, thereby locking the box in either high or low ratio." Since I can shift from High to Neutral, it would stand to reason that it is NOT the solenoid that is preventing me from shifting from Neutral to Low, right?

My plan was to remove the center console to see if I could find where the linkage is stuck. Is that the right approach or is there a better way to do this?

Old 04-05-2013 | 08:29 AM
Baja

center console comes out easy enough, the only PIA is drilling out the rivet that hold the inspection cover down. A 1/4' bit and a drill and there gone in 10 minutes you can then re-rivet it down or use SHORT sheet metal screws

Old 04-05-2013 | 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by far4cges
This made my day! Glad I am not the only one that causes unusual bodily harm when performing Disco maintenance. Besides, a good amount of blood in the cab will make you look like a badass!
Tell me about finger damage while working from below the unit, i can't even put it in neutral, it just won't shift except for locking..

Old 04-05-2013 | 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Miguel Angel de la Cueva
Tell me about finger damage while working from below the unit, i can't even put it in neutral, it just won't shift except for locking..
So if the selenoid is out and i can't shift to neutral or low range, what is the next step?

Old 04-21-2013 | 06:21 PM
1st Gear

Hello,
I have a 2004 Discovery II. My mechanic said that the bolts on the transfer case have been striped and he can't get the bolts to move. He said that the transfer case was cracked and needed to be removed and replaced. Does anyone have any ideas that might help me? Thank you so much! Jill

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Solenoid Removal