Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:18 PM
cdm
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might give it a go once im back home. after i check the fluid. it happens after it is really heated up with the truck loaded (hours of highway followed by city driving). it was fine today on the local roads.

also noticed that engine temp jumps higher than it ever did in the summer heat. im thinking it's either the thermostat slow to respond from closing due to windchill and cant open fast enough once stopped so it lets it get to 217 (highest ive seen it reported for a few seconds) or it just keeps it warmer so it produces more heat. stays at 200 more often than not vs 195 when it was hot out.

cooling system is new so unless something is going defective, it has to be normal. hmm.

i'll check all that once at home. i have tools but unless its emergency, im not touching it in the hotel parking lot with the nearest LR dealer being 300 miles away. cough.

other than that, 2000 miles so far into this trip and the LR is working flawlessly. getting fair mpg too with roof racks, lift, 33" etc unless there is headwind. typically around 14mpg

Last edited by cdm; 10-28-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Factory stat is fully open at 204 F. If poor cooling at idle, consider the following in no particular order:

Fan clutch - check for spin when hot, and truck off - should not freewheel, better if it only spins less than 1 revolution. If cooling system is "new" does that mean water pump already done? When WP and fan clutch are worked on, there is posibility fan blades are on backwards - cupped side of blades should be toward engine block.

Trash between radiator and AC condenser - blocks air flow

Trash in fins - like caked mud

Trash inside radiator - like old Dexcool, neva change antyfreeze, scale and calcium from not using distilled water. In particular, this trash can plug four tiny byapass holes around thermostat and cause wierd problems.

Low coolant

Head gasket leak

belt loose or wrong route

Front electric fan not coming on

So if in hotel lot, check fluids, belt tension and route, look for trash blocking radiator, fuses. Check fan clutch. Install a bottle of water wetter or purple ice, to reduce temps slightly. You can do this with only the Mark 1 palm reader, so tools required.

Keep Mark 1 eyeball on the coolant temps.....

Old 10-31-2011, 01:32 AM
cdm
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what was going on with the trans that afternoon above. It's back to normal now especially that im back south where its warm.

The temp spikes was as i thought, the thermostat not opening fast enough after closing due to windchill during cruise when you stop quickly (like at a rural stop sign etc)

i dont think the truck likes cold. It seems to regulate itself way better in hot weather than in cold. mind you im looking at scangauge, which is real time. dash gauges are stable as can be.

i forsake fuel economy and ran 80s all the way back. 9-10mpg, not counting the 6s and 7s on inclines. AAAAAH!