Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fluid, runith over

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Fluid, runith over

Hello everybody, So here is my issue, my 2000 Land Rover Disco has been shifting hard for a couple of days and then today it starting having issues getting going. What I mean, for example, I am sitting at a red light and it turns green, I step on the gas pedal, engine revs, but vehicle fails to engage a gear and does not move. After approx 15 seconds it would catch a gear and I would be able to move. Once this happened I promptly returned home, about a mile away. Hit one more light on the way home and the same thing happened again. Upon arriving home and waiting approx an hour I decided to check my transmission fluid level. I followed this guide, https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...uid-dii-23070/ , when I got the fill/check plug out, as the title says, transmission fluid came gushing out, approx 1.5-2 quarts! I was under the impressions that this shouldn't have happened and I may have a bigger issue on my hands. I am currently draining all the fluid out via the drain plug. There has been no debris of any kind within the fluid, however, the fluid is still extremely hot and the vehicle has not been driven for 90 minutes. Fluid temp was hotter than any hot tub I have ever been in to give you an idea of the temp, so maybe like 110 degrees F i guess. Don't know if that matters but any ideas, advise or hugs would be nice. I am going to continue with refilling the transmission and will check back here shortly.

Thanks for your time and help.

Ooh yeah, also the last time anybody has touched the transmission fluid was the dealership in November 2011 when they "topped" off my fluids.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you check it with the engine running?

Old 05-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No the engine was not running when i checked it

Old 05-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

well thats problem one solved. ALWAYS check with engine running. When was the last time you changed the fluid and the filter. Are you throwing any codes? how many miles on the truck. I would start with replacing the filter and fluid. see where that gets you.
p.s. topping off at a dealer does not count for anything

Old 05-30-2013, 07:51 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You always check or fill the fluid level when cold, on level ground with the engine running. Have you gone back and refilled it, if not do it today before you over heat it. Also, if the fluid is old, the tranny hasn't been serviced in the last 20,000 miles, do it at the same time.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

re: p.s. topping off at a dealer does not count for anything

oh it can add up....

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Fluid, runith over-bad-mechanic.jpg