Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Mounts need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 01:46 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Mounts need a little help

OK so I'm doing the Transmission filter and fluid change on my 03 Disco I just bought. I got it for 6500 because it was rear ended, It has just over 100,000 miles on it. So I noticed that the trans mounts look damaged and it appears that the transfer case is moved to the front about an inch. On the pictures the front drive shaft is tight and the rear drive shaft has space. The crossmember has broken five of the eight bolts. So my fix is just to remove the bolts, remove the old mounts, and using a floor jack move the Transfer case back so that it is even and use new mounts to attach it back to frame. Is there something I am missing or should that cover it? I'm worried that there could be more to it.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Mounts need a little help-pstcrossmember.jpg   Transmission Mounts need a little help-driveshaft.jpg   Transmission Mounts need a little help-driveshaft1.jpg   Transmission Mounts need a little help-transmissionmount1.jpg   Transmission Mounts need a little help-transmount2.jpg  

Old 10-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow check your engine mounts as well....looks like it got hit hard...

Old 10-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I was about to say the same thing and while you are under the truck, count the number of grease fittings on the front drive shaft 3 u-joints. If you only have 1, then you need to rebuild or replace that ASAP.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:29 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I checked the motor mounts and they seemed fine I wanted to make sure though when looking for the transfercase mounts it only came up with Transmission mounts at british atlantic. The mounts that are damaged are definitly attached to the Transfer case not the transmission. Am I ordering the right thing when I order the right and left transmission mount? Also I have replaced all three ujoints on the front drive shaft. I'm trying to get through the major service one step at a time before I look at lockers, lift rims tires, armor and so on. There is much money to be spent this truck is just for when I go mountain biking, camping, and off roading. Thanks for the help