Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission oil temperature warning light.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:09 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission oil temperature warning light.

Hey, guys i need help with my 2000 discovery. The transmission oil warning light its coming on while driving. I checked the manual and tells me that the trans oil its getting hot. Can any one please help me? Maybe some one had the same problem? Thank you very much.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Check you fluid level first. There is a procedure on here for it. A quick summary is to pull the fill plug while it is running and fill it until there is a 2mm bead of fluid running out.

Does the light turn on after a certain distance, or does it come on immediately?

Don't drive it much.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:11 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

When was the last time you changed the ATF?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:57 AM
4wd High
Default Transmission oil temperature.

Trans service was done at 90k miles. Now has 111k miles. Thanks.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:01 AM
4wd High

It comes on after driving about 6to8 miles. I don't know how to check trans oil level. Thank you very much.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Depending on how mechanical you are, I would check the fluid or take it back to where it was serviced and have them check the fluid.

You will need to pull the fill plug with it running and check the level. Do not open anything without it running because the fluid will just pour out. You will need an oil pump to fill the fluid. If that is too much, I would take it to a shop and have it checked.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:10 PM
4wd High

thank you very much. and god bless.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Mudding

It could just be the sensor is bad... it happened on mine and several others.. It is a 20 minutes fix, including taking off and putting back on your right front tire.

Do a search on here for it and you will find directions on how to do it the easy way. DO NOT go by the RAVE manual for this particular swap, it will have you taking half the front end of your truck off.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:10 AM
4wd High

Originally Posted by robmcin
it could just be the sensor is bad... It happened on mine and several others.. It is a 20 minutes fix, including taking off and putting back on your right front tire.

Do a search on here for it and you will find directions on how to do it the easy way. Do not go by the rave manual for this particular swap, it will have you taking half the front end of your truck off.
thank you very much. Please keep giving me more info about this problem.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:13 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

actually there are two sensors in series. one on the transfer case and one on the transmission cooler.

the one in the transercase doesn't go and its really easy to replace.

the one in the cooler meanwhile is underneath it and has to have the radiator pulled out to access the cooler. you can take out the sensor without taking off the transmission lines. take off the lines and you damage the lines and they will pop off.

if the radiator is leaking its time for a new radiator. if not then get the sensor.

Take off the fan clutch and pull out the air box and the battery box and you will have access to the p3 screws. use a small bit to access them. take off the parts and push the radiator out of the way.

Quick Reply: Transmission oil temperature warning light.