Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission spill

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 05:16 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission spill

Hi. I changed my transmission oil about 2 days ago and everything went fine until today. Was driving home and transmission oil spilled from what it seems the front of the engine. I stopped(since gears did not move any more) and checked under the truck and the pan had no sign of oil leak. Most of it came looked like it came from the front passengers side of the engine. 2002 land rover discovery about 120k.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

On the attached drawing see item 14, the "water" radiator. The two smaller "coolers" shown below it are actually stacked and located between the main radiator and the air conditioner condenser (radiator) which is in front. The lower of these two coolers is for the transmission, and has a hose fitting that may be leaking. The upper cooler is not always there, it is an engine oil cooloer and some versions of D2 don't have it. Trannys fluid can be at 100 - 150 PSI, so can leak fast if given the chance.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 coolant flow.pdf (724.2 KB, 77 views)
Old 05-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, likely that. Those connections come off and on EASY. I had to replace both lines recently. Man, I really hope you do not have to! If you do, ping ,e and I will I've you some tips.
Those lines come off he front by pulling back on he plastic ring. Simple as that. There are a few metal tabs that retract when ou do that. You can reach right down and feel and see them. Passenger side is right by tstat. One set are he oil lines, the ther trans. To push back on, you push till it clicks. Pull back to make sure it is on. I had to slightly bend my tabs a touch to seat right (blew off after I finished the job and started her up, as did an oil one).

Old 05-16-2012, 08:12 PM
8th Gear

It looks like it was the line. I kind of figured something was wrong a few days ago before I changed the transmission oil and filter. Acceleration was a little week and harder to go on higher speeds. I had to call a local LR shop to pick it up. They agreed that it must be the lines and they had some in stock. they said they wanted to check if the trans go damaged and would give me a call tomorrow. Cant wait to see how much thats going to be!!! If I had the time I would of liked to do that project myself...

Old 05-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RGV97
It looks like it was the line. I kind of figured something was wrong a few days ago before I changed the transmission oil and filter. Acceleration was a little week and harder to go on higher speeds. I had to call a local LR shop to pick it up. They agreed that it must be the lines and they had some in stock. they said they wanted to check if the trans go damaged and would give me a call tomorrow. Cant wait to see how much thats going to be!!! If I had the time I would of liked to do that project myself...
Hold on there. If the line was just loose and not cut or anything, you don't need a new one. The lines will be a couple hundred bucks each. The passenger side is not that bad, but the driver's side is HELL. Either way, a few hours in labor at the least.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:49 PM
8th Gear

I'll call them in the morning to check up on it. If possible I will pick it up and do it my self save the money for some magnecore wires and spark plugs!

Old 01-02-2014, 10:02 AM
Three Wheeling

How much did they quote you to replace the passenger side line?

Originally Posted by RGV97
I'll call them in the morning to check up on it. If possible I will pick it up and do it my self save the money for some magnecore wires and spark plugs!