Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission unusual delay in shifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 10:50 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission unusual delay in shifting

Hello everyone,

Long time reader first time post.

I have been recently experiencing an issue with my transmission.
After driving in stop and go city traffic for about an hour (also this seems to be happening more frequently as the temperature here in Phoenix has been hitting the 90’s to 100) the tranny takes a long time to shift out of first to second. This usually happens when accelerating normally from a dead stop. I need to reduce the throttle to induce the shift. It will eventually shift itself but will shift hard and only when it approaches 4k rpm.
No problems with freeway traveling or for short hops where the engine does not heat up.

I had the tranny flushed by my indie back in January of this year.
Could it possibly need to be topped off? I will also check to see what type of fluid he used.
thanks

Old 05-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

when you had it "flushed" did you change out the filter?
Also have you by mistake pushed the special little button at the base of the shift console placing the transmission into SPORT mode? this will change the mapping of the tranny to shift at higher revs. There would be a green "S" illuminated on your dash.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:28 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by jeffh
Also have you by mistake pushed the special little button at the base of the shift console placing the transmission into SPORT mode? this will change the mapping of the tranny to shift at higher revs. There would be a green "S" illuminated on your dash.
Not sure about the filter will check. The high revs before shifting are quite a bit higher than what you get with sport mode. And it happens in either sport mode or standard.

It's definitely something that is happening after the engine runs for about an hour in stop and go and warmer temps

What about fluid level?

Thanks for the input

Old 05-23-2012, 11:30 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by jeffh

jeffh,

I notice you had your head rebuilt. Did you have that done due to an oil pump failure?

Old 05-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Route66,
I had the head re-done as a matter of precaution. headgaskets etc.. are known to be an issue so I just went ahead and took care of the whole topside. This was when I was in the process of purchasing from a land rover tech at a local dealer. we agreed, due to the milage and the known issues that he would take care of the labour and I would cover the costs of materials/parts... all in all a good deal we did the job at the dealership over a weekend. If you have not had the headgaskets done but are having no issues I would leave it all alone. as for the oil pump. I actually just took care of that a month ago along with waterpump, new radiator, fan, thermostat. etc...

Old 05-23-2012, 01:03 PM
4wd Low

jeffh,

The owner before me had the heads rebuilt with new teflon gaskets, oil pump, timing cover. So I assume the oil pump had a major malfunction. I did not know about the oil pump issue with this production run when I bought the vehicle, learned about it reading this forum and looking at the service records.

That rework was done about 30k miles and 3 years ago

Old 05-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Is your check engine light on if so what are the codes, what fluid was used in the flush process and have you actually gone under and checked your fluid level, do you know how to check it????????

Old 05-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another possibility could be caused by the a/c drain hose which drips water onto the transmission xyz switch. This has been an area of concern.
I suspect you would be running a/c in those conditions?

But still definitely check that fluid level.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:52 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

xyz switch should not change the shift points

Old 05-24-2012, 09:02 AM
4wd Low

No Cel as of yet. I do know where to check the level, a bit of aa inconvenient place for it. Since my indie just flushed and change fluid a few months ago I am going by there today for a level check

If the xyz switch were faulty would it cause a shifting delay?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Transmission unusual delay in shifting