Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trasmission Problems - Hard Gear Engagement and Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trasmission Problems - Hard Gear Engagement and Limp Mode

I have a 2003 disco with 157k on it. I did a transmission fluid change about 2-3k ago to rid some shudder going up drawn out hills. Was about time anyways. Used the usual Valvoline High Milage DEX/MERC.

Worked well and shudder was gone. However, over the past few days, from time to time when I'm pulling out after starting up when changing between D and R, sometimes I get a Thud or Clunk type of engagement after selecting a gear, and the truck goes into limp mode. Selecting park, and restarting the tuck clears it, and it's all good. Doesn't happen all of the time. Had a P0705 this afternoon when I finally got around to scanning it.

I just checked the fluid level which seems good, and loosened and re-tightened the bolt on the selector cable even though indication on the dash matched selection well. I unhooked the battery and am letting it sit right now. Battery is maybe a couple years old now? Autocraft gold. And reads a good voltage while the truck is off and when it's running.

I've noticed a bit more water than usual condensing above the trans and dripping down, but the selector switch looks pretty dry, and it happens when I just start up usually.

Reverse engagement over the past six months or so has been more noisy than D, but I think it's always kind have been that way.

Any thoughts? Haven't seen any threads about gear engagement. Feel free to direct me if needed.

All normal shifting through D gears is fine by the way.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so buy what i have read it goes into limp mode because the system registered a bad vibration in the drive system.

i've also heard a drop in voltage could cause this, a bad sensor can cause this. check the sensor, clean the terminals, check the alternator etc.

Now this happened to me twice i the last two weeks, two days after it last happened i was putting a new driveshaft in. so im wondering if that is what was causing the issue.

thus just for kicks check out that drive line make sure u joints are good. that clunking your hear might be a bad u joint.

Check the battery, clean it, does it charge etc.

I really don't have a great answer, but since i just went through this over the last week, i am curious if that may be the cause?

Last edited by xxdoylexx; 11-18-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:19 AM
Drifting

I doubt it's throwing limp mode for a vibration. That's not what the code reads. It reads as a switch malfunction. I think the this is due to the trans not knowing what gear to select. I've noticed it only happens in reverse.

So last night I noticed the little indicator light on the shift selector jumps around on the PRN lights when I move it past reverse. I think the XYZ switch is corroded from the aircon drain. Don't think voltage would cause the problem in reverse only.

Going to replace the switch and move the drain. Hope for the best.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:50 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Oh MY.
That is the XYZ switch.
Please replace it ASAP.
Or you may confuse the transmission which may tear up the clutches inside.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Drifting

Pulled out my XYZ switch tonight and pulled it appart (drilled out the rivets). No evidence of water intrusion, but the contact for the reverse position was dirty looking. The dielectric was yellowish brown instead of white like the rest. I cleaned everything up with contact cleaner put new grease in and put a little more bend in the coper contacts so there was a bit more pressure. Then I resealed it with RTV and bolted it up with 4mm x 16mm bolts (In place of the rivets). Then put everything back together. Got M/S lights when I first turned the car to key position II. But after I started the car it all cleared up. Everything is spiffy. Engages every gear smoothly.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:56 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I would still put in a brand new switch.
You can try to fix the old one.
Every-time I try that - the switch ( a generic switch or device) just works - for awhile.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:21 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jfall
I would still put in a brand new switch.
You can try to fix the old one.
Every-time I try that - the switch ( a generic switch or device) just works - for awhile.
I'm going to stick with this. Besides that one contact, everything looked great. Plus I'm picking up my new second car on the 21st of December. The rover is only my daily driver until then. The 2003-2004 switch is pretty simple, the bad contact explains the problem, I don't see any purpose in buying a new one ($600) unless this one acts up again. I'd rather have one in there that I know is clean than one from eBay.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:57 AM
4wd Low
Default XYZ Switch cleaning?

Originally Posted by freeski27
Pulled out my XYZ switch tonight and pulled it appart (drilled out the rivets). No evidence of water intrusion, but the contact for the reverse position was dirty looking. The dielectric was yellowish brown instead of white like the rest. I cleaned everything up with contact cleaner put new grease in and put a little more bend in the coper contacts so there was a bit more pressure. Then I resealed it with RTV and bolted it up with 4mm x 16mm bolts (In place of the rivets). Then put everything back together. Got M/S lights when I first turned the car to key position II. But after I started the car it all cleared up. Everything is spiffy. Engages every gear smoothly.
Freeski27,

Any chance you took some pics of that process or could at least give me a brief play by play? I got into some high water and now I am stuck in limp Mode. I dried out my Transmission ECU and now the M and S lights went away. Now All I have is the S light and I'm stuck in 3rd gear. Haven;t been able to get to the XYZ switch yet. It seemed a little daunting to me.
Thanks.