Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trimming front bumper??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trimming front bumper??

I just took my 02" disco for its first real offroad and i was driving aroung a pretty deep mudhole but slid in and cracked my lower front bumper and broke one of the lower lights. I hear alot that people trim them. can i get any tips on trimming it and what to trim it with?

Old 02-02-2008, 08:02 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Trimming front bumper??

I dont know about trimming it, Unless you just take it off completely. I'm guessing by lower lights you mean fog lights so thats makes it even harder with wires being in the way. Most people who do alot of off roading but replace it with one of these:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9402ARBD28.cfm

Expensive as heck, but it gets your bumper out of the way, they make them for the front and back. ARB makes quality bumpers, but as you can see, that "quality" is in the price. As for other options, I have seen people just take them off, cut the wires and be done with it. Personally, I think that looks a bit cheesy, especially if its your daily driver. Someone else might chime in with another option, but thats all that I know.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Mudding

Yeah i dont have that kind of money laying around but i know alot of people cut them and if i took it off it would look completely ridiculous, the left fog light is hanging out and all the tabs broke off when i hit that mud hole.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:51 PM
TReK

Yeah I know what you mean, I would have to save up over time before I could buy one. But i did a little research, because I just cracked my bumper (very minor) today and your post made me want to look! Here is what I found:

http://www.landyworld.co.uk/cutdiscobumpe.htm

Does this look like what you were talking about??

Old 02-02-2008, 08:54 PM
TReK

Oh yeah, that site is based on a D1, but my guess is it would be quite similar on a DII. I will have to check in the morning.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Mudding

I just looked at a few peoples cardomain pages and looked how they did it and i know how im going to do it now.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:14 PM
TReK

Can you send me a link? I'm interested in doing the same thing. But I want to see some DII pics of it first.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:37 AM
Rock Crawling

Yeah it's really easy to remove the lower front bumper trim on a D1, not so sure about the DII's though.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go, from the excellent tech section of Discoweb.com

How to get a better approach angle on your Discovery Series II without having to spend any money!

You will have to sacrifice those pretty Hella fog lights in the bumper and be comfotable with looking at your axle.... YES!

[ul][*]
I think the best tool to use is a cutoff tool hooked to your air compressor. If you don't have this you could use a saw but I wouldn't recommend it. Take the truck to a machine shop with this page printed out and have them do it.
[/ul]

[ul][*]
If you follow the line at the middle of the bumper from the wheel wells toward the middle you can get a good clean cut.
[/ul]
[ul][*]
After you get to the center section of the bumper....where the black plastic is...turn 90 degrees and follow this line...another 45 degrees and then you will be going straight down. when you get to the bottom it is up to you how to finish the cut. I turned another 45 to make it look clean.
[/ul]
[ul][*]
Do the same thing to the other side.
[/ul]
[ul][*]
After you have done this the only thing to do is to trim up the inside of the fender wells. Use the cutoff tool here and just follow the same line across. After you do this it will not be as good in place as it was before...expect to rub your tires on it when you turn the wheel all the way but I have had no problems with it falling apart...or looking bad...mine has been like this for about 10,000 miles now.
[/ul]
[ul][*]
If you decide you want to remove the lower part of the center section you will need to remove the crossmember under the bumper and then continue the same line of cutting as before. I would recommend that you purchase a skid plate since that crossmember does protect the steering linkage.
[/ul]

Old 09-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Drifting

yea i did this ^ to mine, turned out greatName:  DSC00732.jpg
Views: 1614
Size:  201.7 KB

sorry this is the only pic i have now that i'm studying abroad.

Name:  DSC00733.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  182.4 KB

Quick Reply: Trimming front bumper??