Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble fueling up the Disco all of a sudden.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Trouble fueling up the Disco all of a sudden.

The last 3 times I got fuel (different stations) the pump kept on shutting off like the tank was full. Only happened a few times during the previous 2 fill ups, but today it was a real PITA and wound up dribbling fuel down the side of the truck messing around with it.
I went through the RAVE a bit and looked around, but figured I would see if anyone has had that issue before and what happened. I'm figuring a vent for the tank has to be clogged or something on it, but no clue. No other fuel related issues ever (no tank pressurization, no fumes, etc).
Thanks in advance!

Old 06-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mine does that sometimes on my 03. if the fuel neck isnt square with the truck, it clicks off like its full.if the neck is angled towards the back of the truck, like if i pull up a tiny bit too far past the pump, itll do it. but if i hold it square, it works fine.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:28 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto. Mine will do this randomly, sometime 2-3 fill ups in a row. I've always contributed it to the angle of the fill nozzle, and the more sensitive shut off sensors on the pumps.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

This has happened to me a few times as well, but I attribute it to the crappily serviced Phillips 66 nearest my house. That is the ONLY gas station that gives me problems. The other two Phillips 66 stations fill the tank completely, then shut off. Every time. This has been going on for over a year (I only use that station because I forget about the crappy pumps).

Old 06-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did it twice, once at a brand new Sunoco station and then at a Hess station. Should need to fill up again tomorrow, so we will see. I had this on a beater Jetta Diesel I had and it was a real pain in the butt. It was a vent issue and just wasn't worth it to drop the tank and fix it at that point... but would take me 10 minutes to fill up sometimes. Hopefully this just comes and goes!

Old 06-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
The last 3 times I got fuel (different stations) the pump kept on shutting off like the tank was full. Only happened a few times during the previous 2 fill ups, but today it was a real PITA and wound up dribbling fuel down the side of the truck messing around with it.
I went through the RAVE a bit and looked around, but figured I would see if anyone has had that issue before and what happened. I'm figuring a vent for the tank has to be clogged or something on it, but no clue. No other fuel related issues ever (no tank pressurization, no fumes, etc).
Thanks in advance!
It's a conspiracy meant to keep you from crapping your pants every time you fill up.