Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to make a trailer wiring adaptor from 01 DII 7 Euro plug to 7 RV Blade plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to make a trailer wiring adaptor from 01 DII 7 Euro plug to 7 RV Blade plug

Hello,
I am trying to get a new (to me) camper ready to go for a trip this weekend and I can't get the lights to work with my 01 DII. I bought this 7 Euro to 4 flat adaptor from AB (http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9438.cfm). I then bought a corresponding 4 flat plug end to plug into the end of the AB adaptor and spliced it to a 7 RV blade vehicle end plug (thus creating a 4 flat trailer end to 7 RV blade vehicle end adaptor) which plugs into my trailer. I'm not worried about trailer brakes or aux power or anything other than blinkers, brakes and running lights. I thought I had come up with a fairly quick, easy, $50 solution rather than spending hundreds to get something permanently mounted in by a trailer shop or a LR dealer. The problem is that once everything was plugged in, I only have running lights on the trailer, no blinkers or brakes. I have seen other postings about the peculiarities of these European plugs and wiring but I can't seem to translate that into what my problem is or how to fix it? Any help is much appreciated!

Old 06-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by milehighwonder
Hello,
I am trying to get a new (to me) camper ready to go for a trip this weekend and I can't get the lights to work with my 01 DII. I bought this 7 Euro to 4 flat adaptor from AB (http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9438.cfm). I then bought a corresponding 4 flat plug end to plug into the end of the AB adaptor and spliced it to a 7 RV blade vehicle end plug (thus creating a 4 flat trailer end to 7 RV blade vehicle end adaptor) which plugs into my trailer. I'm not worried about trailer brakes or aux power or anything other than blinkers, brakes and running lights. I thought I had come up with a fairly quick, easy, $50 solution rather than spending hundreds to get something permanently mounted in by a trailer shop or a LR dealer. The problem is that once everything was plugged in, I only have running lights on the trailer, no blinkers or brakes. I have seen other postings about the peculiarities of these European plugs and wiring but I can't seem to translate that into what my problem is or how to fix it? Any help is much appreciated!
Hello,
I'm not sure what you are asking here.........how did you plug up to your Disco lights? I have hooked light up all three ways on Forrest (four way, seven way; with brakes and aux, and the Euro way; round type) so I'm sure I can help you with this. If you would like to talk either give me your number or send me something to my email address lastcar1@yahoo.com.
Good luck,

Old 06-10-2011, 10:16 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Additional info

Here's a diagram of sorts, I hope this helps to clarify. What I basically have is the Atlantic British adaptor (7 round euro to 4 flat) hooked up to my homemade adaptor (4flat to 7 RV blade).

Rover factory european socket ----- european end of AB adaptor plug ------adaptor wiring ------ 3 female pin, one male pin, 4 flat plug ----- 3 male pin, one female pin, 4 flat plug ------- adaptor wiring -------- 7 male pins rv blade plug ----- 7 female pins rv blade socket (on camper).

I'm sure I'm not the 1st person who is towing an RV with their Rover. Is there no way to avoid an expensive wiring harness job? Part of my problem now is I'm in a time crunch, so ordering another harness isn't really an option. Thanks!

Old 08-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get this sorted out?
I have the same situation but I need the trailer brakes.

I just posted this:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...69/#post335413
and I am hoping it will work....

Old 08-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when I plugged my adapter same as yours) into the round 7 pin to the 4 flat pin to the 7 way RV I got very low voltage and when the indicator lights were on all of the lights blinked, even the marker lights!

I noticed there was a lot or corrosion and a little condensation so I figured it was poor connections giving me the ghosts.....