Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Euro 7 pin plug to US 7 pin on Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Euro 7 pin plug to US 7 pin on Disco II

I'm buying a travel trailer w/ US 7 flat pin plug for lights, etc. My Disco II has the factory 7 pin Euro plug. What replacement parts do I need to get and how do I wire it? I also need to add an electronic brake controller. Any brand recommendations? I also need to have access to a 4 flat for my boat.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Three Wheeling

Just do a google search. You don't have to modify any wiring.

7-Way Round Pin to 4-Flat Adapter Tow Ready Wiring 118709

Much easier this way.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Overlanding

That would solve the boat trailer plug problem but I still need to be able to plug the RV's 7 pin US plug into the Disco.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:54 AM
Mudding

You could go to camping world they should have every thing , or look there & then buy online.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blamo
You could go to camping world they should have every thing , or look there & then buy online.
If you're going to go take advantage of a storefront and personnel's expertise, then you should try to just buy the part there. Brick and mortar shops are having enough trouble competing with Amazon.com as it is. When you need them, use them, otherwise we'll all be screwed one day when we can no longer touch and feel something before we buy it. Rant: off.

Maybe check here:
Adapters Wiring | etrailer.com

There's a bunch.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-towing-58268/

Contact Mark d on here and see how he made out.

From e-trailer.com

"Basically, there is no easy way to convert the European 7-Way to a US 4-Way. We do not carry any kind of adapter that you could use. You are left with 2 options. First, you would install a separate wiring harness which would be the easiest. Or, you could attempt to fabricate an adapter."

Old 05-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the suggestions but I don't think they're going to solve my problem. My new travel trailer has a US 7 flat pin round male plug; My DII has the factory Euro 7 round pin round female plug. I need to replace the Euro 7 round with a US 7 flat round receptacle on the truck so the electric brakes will operate. The 7 to 4 adapter won't work because it doesn't have the circuit for that, right? Can I simply get a US 7 flat pin receptacle, cut the Euro 7 round off, and attach the US 7 flat receptacle in its place? Considering the DII's electrical system, is there any additional rewiring necessary? Ideal solution would be a combo Us round 7 flat pin female plug with the additional standard 5-4-3 flat female plug on the side for use with my boat trailer. Sorry for the dissertation but I don't think I was clear enough before.

Last edited by Shark59; 05-01-2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Old 05-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Shark59, the wiring diagram for the D2 trailer pickup is on pages 151-152 of the circuits manual inside the RAVE set of manuals.
Pin 1 - yellow - LH turn and hazards
Pin 2 - blue - fog lights
Pin 3 - white - ground
Pin 4 - green - RH turn and hazards
Pin 5 - brown - RH tail
Pin 6 - red - brake
Pin 7 - LH tail & tag light

That is for their trailer pickup module. So no "always on" 12 volt for charging battery for electric brakes, etc. Another module would be needed.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Here's some info about doing this to a P38 which may be of some help. Basically, the best route to go is to cut the euro plug off and wire up the 7-blade plug. You can also get a 7-blade/flat 4 combo plug that makes for a neat installation. The 7-blade setup includes a reverse light feed which locks out the surge brakes for backing up on some trailers and the charge line. Both of these would need to be added to the euro wiring. If you tap directly into the wiring at the harness by the lights using the wiring guide posted by Savannah, you would need to wire in a converter that combines the seperate brake and turn wires to feed the trailer lights. If you want a full wiring diagram you can PM me.

Quick Reply: Changing Euro 7 pin plug to US 7 pin on Disco II