Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbine sound - SAI or other?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a chance to look it over this weekend and sure enough it wasn't the flux capacitor - Sorry Savannah Buzz.

I'll give some of this stuff a try and see if it quiets the bearing noise. (see below)

Royal Purple Max Film - has anyone used this stuff? The video looks promising.....

Other - Royal Purple

Old 11-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

hmmm Im now having an SAI issue... I can hear it on startup but nothing bad... however... occasionally... I get this really sweet borla exhaust sound... but not sure I like sound coming out engine bay up posed to tail end... I just unplugged a little Vacuum reservoir on the side facing the passengers fender and it became quiet! can this hurt anything? milage being one of those things? lol Im in south florida where it basically doesn't drop under 70deg outside....

Last edited by dparham; 12-02-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Mudding

dparham -
FYI - I bought a rebuilt SAI Pump from rebuiltairpumps.com
I was a little leary but it showed up and for $149 and a 2 year warranty I am $300 cheaper and a year warranty above what Land Rover was going to give on an over the counter transaction.
The deep rumble you hear was the same as mine when I first started it up and went away after a while. I too had disconnected the SAI pump and the sound is the air in the exhaust system resonating back through the tubes that would normally receive the air from the SAI pump..... If you have to replace the SAI pump I think this Rebuilt one is a good move although time will be the real deciding factor with it.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by LADEROUTE
dparham -
FYI - I bought a rebuilt SAI Pump from rebuiltairpumps.com
I was a little leary but it showed up and for $149 and a 2 year warranty I am $300 cheaper and a year warranty above what Land Rover was going to give on an over the counter transaction.
The deep rumble you hear was the same as mine when I first started it up and went away after a while. I too had disconnected the SAI pump and the sound is the air in the exhaust system resonating back through the tubes that would normally receive the air from the SAI pump..... If you have to replace the SAI pump I think this Rebuilt one is a good move although time will be the real deciding factor with it.
well, I may do that but it seems to be running good with the reservoir unplugged lol however... I called that company and talked to one of them but I didn't know enough about emissions to explain to him in a reasonable manor for him to figure if it was pump or what war happening... he felt like it sounded more like that check valve but reading this does make me think a little...

Old 12-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The topic of the "turbine noise" from the SAI has been disgusted on here many times before. My D2 also does it and from what I've read it is completely normal to make that sound. If this is not the case then I also need a new pump along with many others.
1) How did you come to the conclusion that you needed a new pump (Was it just the noise is made)?
2) Has the new pump made any kind of difference?

Old 12-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Jared9220
The topic of the "turbine noise" from the SAI has been disgusted on here many times before. My D2 also does it and from what I've read it is completely normal to make that sound. If this is not the case then I also need a new pump along with many others.
1) How did you come to the conclusion that you needed a new pump (Was it just the noise is made)?
2) Has the new pump made any kind of difference?
Yup this is why I posted mine as its a different sound... the turbine sound I also have but its the normal usual sound... what I get is secondary but it is from that same pump... its a rumbling exhaust sound thats separate form the turbine sound and it never goes away like the turbine sound... lol except when i unplug the passenger side of the vacuum reservoir

Old 12-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:50 AM
Mudding

My pump sounded like a turbine with blown bearings and eventually seized. it was easy to diagnose at that point. If the SAI sounds smooth then it should be fine, if it starts going from the smooth turbine sound to a loud and obnoxious squeal then you will know that you are going to need it replaced. However, if your area does not require SMOG control and you don't mind the check engine light then by all means unplug the electrical connection and enjoy the initial start up rumble.
Cheers.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Winching

We'll since unplugging that vacuum reservoir on passenger side a couple months ago... I finally stopped throwing my CAT code on that side and no more check engine light.. Also better gas mileage! Lol
At this point it had been throwing that code for 2 years and outside replacing the cat which seems to now would have been waste of money ... Im hoping I've isolated my issue closer... My SAI pump is not that loud and I changed filter last year... It still seems to work but if I plug that vacuum reservoir back in... It makes that low rumbly exhaust sound not a jet engine sound ... So I'll keep working on isolating it but currently I'm saving up for new paint on top... Stupid clear coat failing on roof and maybe signs in hood ... Also new shocks, springs,tires, and ball joints and while there new rotoflex and bushings and ummmm brake job.... I have a new powder coated loacalky who is VERY affordable so maybe black out my wheels ! Maybe not... Lol

Last edited by dparham; 01-12-2014 at 02:50 PM. Reason: More input