Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Charger

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Charger

Just wondering if its possible to add a Turbo to a V8 Disco 2 the 4.0 engine. Im assuming that having the turbo will help my mpg by adding power since it gets the added power from wasted power by giving it a better burn rate.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No you cant add a turbo but you can add a super charger easily enough.
I dont know about the DII but with a DI the super charger from a GM 3.8 V6 bolts right up, a few mods later and away you go.
You wont gain any MPG though.

Turbos and super chargers do not add MPG, the reason a turbo car gets better MPG is because you can use a smaller engine, which gets better MPG, because its smaller so it needs less fuel.
Now add a turbo and you increase horse power, but the MPG stays the same because you are still using a smaller engine.
ALL a turbo or super charger do is force more air into the engine.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks do you think the effort to supercharge it is worth it? How much BHP would it actually add? 188HP is not that much for how large the truck is in my opinion

Old 10-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjaff21
Thanks do you think the effort to supercharge it is worth it? How much BHP would it actually add? 188HP is not that much for how large the truck is in my opinion
Spoken like a true Arkansas teenager! Haha

As much as I'd love more power out of these I have to vote No toward a supercharger. You're going to lose noticeable mpg with one.A Supercharger would just add one more pulley to an already over strained out dated motor.

That being said, 4-5 years ago I would have totally done everything I could to strap a supercharger to it. I would also have run it like hell for the 2 1/2weeks the motor lasted before blowing up. So a younger me would have voted a big Yes!

Old 10-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm with Madlands, it'd just make your engine go out sooner.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I've heard the SSE range rovers would smoke all 4 tires. I've also heard they melt pistons. Never seen one in the flesh though. Or I didn't realize it if I did.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Rock Crawling

I figured that it would wear the engine but not to that point. any other ideas to get a little extra boost when going up very steep hills? went up one today at 40 and it slowed down to about 10 when i was at the top. it was at about 3500 RPM. Could there be another problem going on with it to cause it to be so sluggish?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Almost certainly. It shouldn't have any problems maintaining speed. Especially in Arkansas.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This thread had some info about chargers and upgrades: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e2/#post346770

I did some research on it a while ago...here was the post

From what I found researching:

- The RPI warnings against supercharging should to be taken with a grain of salt since they sell products which compete with a supercharger mod.

- If you have a 3.9 (distributor), you can adjust the timing to fit

- If you keep the boost low (<5 psi) GEMS can recompute and account for it

- If you keep the boost low, reliability is no different than a N/A engine

- If you keep the boost low, there is still a definite power increase (especially if you mod exhaust too). Depending on your goals though, it may not be enough of a boost to justify the humbug and cost of supercharging.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Only time I've had issues going up any "hills" in Little Rock the way you described my coil packs were going out. Not saying that's your problem but it sounds like you have some sort of issue going on.

Do a sea foam injection cleaning. Next change the oil, toss in a new air filter, and replace the plugs and wires. I get all of those things from my local napa.

Is your check engine light disconnected? When you turn the key on you should see it light up in the top left corner of your gauges. If it doesn't light up then you may have some other issues that are hidden, I've been there.

Quick Reply: Turbo Charger