Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbocharging a 4.6 V8

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 10:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by thesoundguru
The 140% was just maf volume. I was really surprised to see that. I got the ultra gauge so I could keep an eye on the new cooling system I put in place plus I wanted to be able to see a little more data the truck was collecting. I was just surprised when I floored the truck to see it read 140% instead of 100%. So I know now the truck is getting more air then expected. So I now am wondering if they intake is just that much more effective, I know those stock pipes are restrictive as hell and the air box design is **** but I din't think our simple mod would see the engine getting an 40% air volume. I think I opened pandora's box getting this gauge cause now I'm wanting to go into tuner mode.
140% or 140 g/s?

Old 12-30-2015, 10:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
140% or 140 g/s?
its got to be mass flow rate. I think 140kg/s would be pretty close to the upper realistic reading of a 4.6

Old 12-30-2015, 10:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

questions is where does the factory maf cut off?
A solid rule of thumb for determining HP values from MAF readings is derived by the following formula.

(value MAF g / s) / 0.82 = hp

Based on this, I would say it Max's out around ~180 g/s.

217HP X .82 = 177.94

Old 12-31-2015, 06:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
There is, quite a lot. That's why I appreciate all the help I can get.

It is mind boggling, the horsepower is pitiful. Even after all the breathing mods I've done and it's still only at 220-230 at the wheels with 12:1 compression on a 4.6 V8. Insane.
for whatever reason, they set these things up incorrect with the ECU. To make any reasonable power changes, we need to start with ECU tuning before you add any mods.

i honestly think we need to figure out a way to reprogram the ECU without sending it to England for a week.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
for whatever reason, they set these things up incorrect with the ECU. To make any reasonable power changes, we need to start with ECU tuning before you add any mods.

i honestly think we need to figure out a way to reprogram the ECU without sending it to England for a week.
I would completely agree, I may have to reach out to my friend at Peerless Overland and see if they have any information on ecu tuning.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

I would completely agree, I may have to reach out to my friend at Peerless Overland and see if they have any information on ecu tuning.
Cool. keep us updated. the way i look at this, everything is there for more power, its just limited by whatever the ECU has in place.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:06 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by robertf
its got to be mass flow rate. I think 140kg/s would be pretty close to the upper realistic reading of a 4.6
Like I said 140%, I am seeing 242 g/s via the ultra gauge. Now based on my calculations like you I thought the same thing it should be around 180g/s. Now if we do the whole horsepower calculation I know I am not building 290 horsepower on this engine. So that leaves me to believe my maf is wrong in the information it's sends the computer. The other option is that the factory intake duct and air box are so restrictive that they starve the engine for air which could absolutely be a cause for lack of power.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:21 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by coors
A solid rule of thumb for determining HP values from MAF readings is derived by the following formula.

(value MAF g / s) / 0.82 = hp

Based on this, I would say it Max's out around ~180 g/s.

217HP X .82 = 177.94
180g/s is not what it should max at. This should be the number you see if your engine is running at max efficiency according to the 217bhp that Land rover states the engine has.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

Like I said 140%, I am seeing 242 g/s via the ultra gauge. Now based on my calculations like you I thought the same thing it should be around 180g/s. Now if we do the whole horsepower calculation I know I am not building 290 horsepower on this engine. So that leaves me to believe my maf is wrong in the information it's sends the computer. The other option is that the factory intake duct and air box are so restrictive that they starve the engine for air which could absolutely be a cause for lack of power.
I'd say check out the MAF as an issue since that's easy to do. The only part of the factory box that should be very restrictive is the inlet from the quarter panel. The size of that seems kinda small to me, though I haven't actually measured it. The rest of the restriction, I think, should just be caused by turbulence inside the intake from the chamber mufflers and the ridges. Of course, that could be it. Turbulence creates a LOT of restriction if it occurs just right. I'm going to see if I can get any readings on my MAF soon. I've got the engine half way apart today to do timing chain/oil pump, but as soon as it's back together I'll see if I can get a reading from my MAF. If both our MAFs are correct then I should get a higher g/s than you have because of my mods.

Last edited by Alex_M; 01-02-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

Alright, so I got my truck back together this morning (write up will be up in a bit!) At WOT my MAF readings never went over 168 g/s, which I tested on three seperate 0-65 pulls.

Quick Reply: Turbocharging a 4.6 V8