Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two questions, one of them is probably stupid...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Two questions, one of them is probably stupid...

I have the flashing off road light, which means the rear is either rising or returning to stock height, and then I have the self-leveling suspension light illuminated, meaning there is a fault with the system. Like I said before, I know the tranny and driveshaft are the major problems I'm facing right now, but I'm just trying to get the little crap fixed and out of the way before I have the money to get the major crap fixed. Now, the question is, where is the air pump located? I would like to check it out, see what it looks like, what condition it's in, check the filter, etc. but I don't know where it is. Second, why would the offroad light be flashing if the suspension light is on?

And the stupid question is this...every time I turn the key on, I hear what sounds like a little fan that comes on in the dashboard, even though the blower motor is off. What the hell is it? I thought it might be a temp sensor for the Automatic Climate control, but I could be wrong. I often am.

Last edited by tornado_735; 03-02-2009 at 11:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best thing to do is to get a copy of Rave, which is a pdf copy of the service manual. Some have indicated that it is a free download somewhere, I bought the CD on Ebay for $5. Its almost a necessity for the DIY'er. The noise you hear that sounds like a vacume in your dash is the Secondary Air Injection, its an emissions thing. Do a search on this forum for more info

Old 03-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Might need to make a trip to the dealer to have your SLS reset. Grab a copy of the RAVE manual and go through it. Not sure off hand where the pump is. DiscoMike might have some suggestions on the suspension.....

These trucks have a proprietary language for the computers, so you have to get someone with a rover compatible scanner to set things and read codes other than OBDII that set off your CEL. Brakes and suspension are a dealer or indy shop item...

Old 03-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is located on the drivers side. On the frame between the front and rear doors. Has a cover that can be removed to inspect. You should be able to see the hose lines coming out the back running to the SLS.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CCROVER is right about the compressor. The noise that you hear when you turn on the key is a fan in the dash. If you look to the left of the steering wheel you will see a few slits where it sucks the air in. If you take compressed air and blow it out the noise should go away. If it is real dirty remove the panel under the dash by the fuses and clean it out.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by malmberg
CCROVER is right about the compressor. The noise that you hear when you turn on the key is a fan in the dash. If you look to the left of the steering wheel you will see a few slits where it sucks the air in. If you take compressed air and blow it out the noise should go away. If it is real dirty remove the panel under the dash by the fuses and clean it out.
Yeah, I saw the little vent. I'll clean her out. What is it for? Someone mentioned Secondary Air Injection, but according to my VIN, I don't have it. What is that anyway?

Old 03-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

That little fan is a cooling fan for the electrics behind the dash, just like on your computer.