Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

type of oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default type of oil

What type of 10w/40 oil is good. I beleive the delearship i bought my disco from was using Penzoil. My disco has 47K miles on it and was just wondering what everyone recommends.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: type of oil

-Ive always used Mobile One for the Disco and Porsche. Really good oil, doesnt form sludge and has a high burn off temp. Stay away from Penzoil and Quaker state as these contain a large quantity of parafin which will gum things up in no time with the way these engines run. When you do change out consider giving yourself a good engine flush with 6 qts ofATF and let it IDLE(DO NOT DRIVE IT) for 20 mins, change it out with a new filter and your favorite oil and your well on your way to a clean engine.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

X2 on that. Conventional oils will gum up your engine over time. Use a good synthetic. The flush is a good idea too.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about Castrol?

Old 05-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Rock Crawling

How many miles does everyone run a "full" flush?

Old 05-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Camel Trophy

I ran one just beforeI changed my oil when I frirst got it.. The engine had about 60K on the motor when I got it. I put RP in and won't flush again. The oil cleans out the sludge as it is. Most synthetics will do this. They don't break down like conventional oils will...

Old 05-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Camel Trophy

ORIGINAL: hendoc3

What about Castrol?
What do you want to know? The conventional does better than most conventionals, but the synthetic is one of the lowest in performance compared to other brands.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: hendoc3

What about Castrol?
Castrol is a good oil, I use their blend which is a partial synthetic, still chamge it every 3000 miles and use a 3001 K&N oil filter.

As for the engine flush, if it hasn't been done before and you are up over 45,000 miles I would do one. I actually did a big one and now I use one of the 1 qt engine flushed usually every third oil change for maintance.
Mike

Old 05-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Drifting

Can someone offer some more information on the engine flush idea? What is the recommended product, application and method? Anything I can do to increase life/performance/mileage on my Disco is worth a try.

OS

Old 05-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Drifting

Old School,
Here's how to do the flush:
Find some cheap Automatic Transmission Fluid(6 qts) doesnt need to be expensive stuff as you are just running it from 15-30 minutes and changing it out. I got mine from Autozone for 7 dollars total (with military discount)
Pick up a good quality filter like a K&N 3001. It cost me all of $11. Again at autozone. While youre at it also make sure to get your oil I normally use Mobile One, but as I just did this engine flush and am going to be changing it out again im useing syntec blend 20w50. 3.99 a quart.
Go home, have a coffee break and let it cool down. (since im in Arizona I waited and waited and waited and waited........)
Drain your oil but do not change the filter yet. (now some will say its a good Idea to pick up 2 filters and change it both before and after the flush but its your preferance.) Re-install the drain plug and put in the 6 qts of ATF.
Now(drumroll please).... start the vehicle and let it IDLE. DO NOT REV OR DRIVE IT FOR ANY REASON. This is very important as ATF has the viscosity of a 5w motor oil and detergent properties. Let it IDLE for anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes and then stop it and let it cool down.
Drainthe fluid and put in your clean filter. Put in the 6 qts of the new oil and youre all set... well kinda:
If you think your engine is extremely dirty and gummed up you may want to drop the pan and give it a good cleaning with brake cleaner to remove all the varnish; make sure your pickup isnt blocked; etc... You dont need to do this but its a good idea.
The ATF has a detergent property to it and it will start to disolve all the gunk and junk in your engine, it doesnt stop once youve changed it out though so you may want to do another change in about 1000 miles to 1500. If youve changed out to another synthetic oil afterwards it will exasperate this effect. Again no PENZOIL or QUAKER STATE...
Hope this helps

Quick Reply: type of oil