Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uh oh..... head gasket again or something simple I hope?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015 | 02:11 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default uh oh..... head gasket again or something simple I hope?

I had the headgaskets redone when I bought this truck about 3 years and only 15k miles ago, and go nice and easy on her.

The throttlebody plate started leakin a few weeks ago so I had the garage just bypass it.

I then noticed about a week later that my temps were climbing, and noticed the reserve was low, so I filled it up thinking thats what I probably lost during the leak before I noticed it, and what spilled doing the bypass.

About 2 weeks later temps climb again one day and I check, the reserve is low again. I fill it up and check for external leaks around the bypass. Nothing, clean as a whistle. Nothing on the block, no smell in the car or in the bay, exhuast looks/smells ok, heatercore is good.

Nowing it doesnt just evaporate, I check the dip stick and my worst fears... I found the gallon if missing coolant

I dropped it off at the garage for them to check tomorrow (theyre bays are full right now) and I'm anticipating headgasket. But being as they where dont not to long ago, I'm not using the **** coolant and have a lowtemp thermo, among driving it nice and the heads where stright as an arrow when I had the job done, I came to think, maybe a long shot, that the bypass clogged and is causing a pressure buildup forcing the coolant to leak??? is this feasible? would reverting the bypass back to the tb heater plate relieve the pressure and leak... or is the damage already done... or completely unrelated, just ****ty timing?

Old 02-13-2015 | 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

oil coolant mix is not tbh related.....sorry

that would be a verrrry short head gasket life span.

Old 02-13-2015 | 02:21 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

yea why I was hoping something else was the cause... I even did away with the dexcool, new radiator and temps rarely get above 190 since the swap. Atlantic British kit, guess it's time to go OEM gaskets and sell this thing. any chance any front end seals went that can dump coolant into the oil?

Old 02-13-2015 | 03:10 PM

If the cooling system builds pressure it should, theoretically, blow back into the reservoir and not the heads via the gaskets. To me, logically, it sounds like a gasket failure and the coolant is sucked in on the intake stroke rather than due to over pressure in the cooling system, but, I've been wrong before. Some anti freeze coolants are quite aggressive and seek out or create erosion of soldered joints, gaskets etc.

Old 02-13-2015 | 03:30 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

anything on the front of the motor that could have went that allows coolant into the oil that i can cross my fingers on if not the headg's again?

Old 02-13-2015 | 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Yes. Front cover gasket can let coolant in the oil.

Old 02-13-2015 | 04:35 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

*crosses fingers*

Old 02-13-2015 | 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
*crosses fingers*
Run a compression test which should tell whether there is a head gasket leak or not. Hopefully it's the front plate gasket and and not the head gasket.

Old 02-13-2015 | 06:10 PM
Baja

Unfortunatly a front cover gasket requires dropping the oil pan.

Old 02-14-2015 | 07:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I bet it is the front cover.

Quick Reply: uh oh..... head gasket again or something simple I hope?