Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uh oh..... head gasket again or something simple I hope?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015 | 06:23 PM
Baja

Honestly, what do you have to lose

Old 02-14-2015 | 07:56 PM
Pro Wrench

X3. I think they even have a money back guarantee. So, even if it doesn't work, get a refund on the bottle.

The following users liked this post:
The_OGCJR (02-15-2015)
Old 02-14-2015 | 09:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Dude, drop it off at my shop. No way your getting 3500 for it, and no way its a cracked block.

Old 02-14-2015 | 09:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Better yet I'll tow it to my shop for free.

Old 02-15-2015 | 10:29 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle

i appreciate the offer, its on the lift now but they are closed today, gunna go talk to them tomorrow take a look at it. he said over the phone they did a smoke test and had smoke comming out of cylinder 7. dont know if he pulled the pan to look or dropped a scope in, i didnt get to ask any questions i was busy at work. they are open tomorrow ill take pics for the web and of the motor if i can.

as far as your shop though, even if you could fix it i dont think you take sunoco credit cards by chance? also, its my only vehicle besides my motorcycle, and i aint ridin in this weather for the forseeable future to wall lol. ill keep you up to date maybe things will change. thanks again for the input in offer though, same to everyone else.

cross your fingers, otherwise im going to have to depart the land rover world for good soon. i coudl probably strip the armour, winch mount, adapter plate and ladder off and sell seperate but everything else is installed. i dont have the stock suspension, steering parts, brakes or tires anymore.

Old 02-15-2015 | 11:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Run a compression test which should tell whether there is a head gasket leak or not. Hopefully it's the front plate gasket and and not the head gasket.
Not if its slow enough.

Old 02-15-2015 | 02:23 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

it took about a week for a gallon to migrate into the oil pan but i only drive 3 miles a day too

Old 02-15-2015 | 02:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have a similar issue on cylinder 6. I was loosing coolant, about 1 cup after a 50 mile drive. I always checked the dipstick and no sign of milkshake or higher than normal levels. This started to happen a month after doing headgaskets. I changed the oil and a few turns of the plug resulted in a stream of coolant followed by oil shortly after. It seems like the coolant was leaking in slow enough after a drive while the engine was hot and settled into the sump. I dropped the pan and did a pressure test to 10 psi (engine was stone cold) and couldnt find a leak. Then did a 19psi test and left it for 3 days and found the leak in #6 coming down behind the sleeve which was not moved. I never had a misfire code and the cylinder is not steam cleaned. When the engine is warm the leak is worse. Trying Irontite as a last resort as pinkytoe did a while back.

Old 02-15-2015 | 03:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Smoke test what? What the hell are they doing? Take the oil pan off, fill the cooling system up and pressure test it. It's a half hour process.

The following users liked this post:
jafir (02-16-2015)
Old 02-18-2015 | 10:32 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle

I updated the mileage, its 116k not 134k dunno why I had that number in my head.

Got back from the garage today, they weren't open the last 3 days from the holiday and the snow. They smoke tested at the dip stick and smoke was coming out of the rear most drivers side cylinder, so its a slipped sleeve.

I took a bunch of pictures, I emailed them out to those who sent me their email address in a zip file.

Last edited by grandkodiak; 02-18-2015 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: uh oh..... head gasket again or something simple I hope?