Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UltraGauge Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 12:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default UltraGauge Alternative

I bought an iCarsoft 930 last year from AB. I really like it because it can diagnose and monitor all systems. Recently, I have been looking to buy an UltraGauge, but $80 is not something that I want to spend if I don't have to. Is there a way that I can permanently keep the iCarsoft plugged in so I can monitor the coolant temperature? I have monitored it before with this device, but it will not turn off if I take the key out. My goal is to be able to keep it plugged in on the temperature monitor and have it turn off with the ignition, then return to the same screen when the car is back on. Is this possible?
Thanks.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Personally I love my ultragauge. I went with the "Blue" model so I can monitor via an unused tablet. It works great! Next I just need to write a code that turns my tablet on and off with power. If you decide to switch you won't be disappointed. Sorry I can't help with your question though, good luck!

The following users liked this post:
DiscoCam (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 09:10 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoCam
I bought an iCarsoft 930 last year from AB. I really like it because it can diagnose and monitor all systems. Recently, I have been looking to buy an UltraGauge, but $80 is not something that I want to spend if I don't have to. Is there a way that I can permanently keep the iCarsoft plugged in so I can monitor the coolant temperature? I have monitored it before with this device, but it will not turn off if I take the key out. My goal is to be able to keep it plugged in on the temperature monitor and have it turn off with the ignition, then return to the same screen when the car is back on. Is this possible?
Thanks.
Got the iCarsoft last Oct, but I cant figure how to read the temperature from it. Have not seen all the uses for it. Then, got the UltraGauge bout a week ago and it says that its on all the time as well but battery drain is insignificant, I am guessing the iCarsoft too is similar but its a bit too large to mount anywhere, also the cable is very short. I mounted my UG on the corner with a $5.00 mount from 5below. Now, Im aware of the consistent P codes that I dont want to know, lol! Plus, now I know that my temp is always high since then even if the needle is in the middle of the gauge.

DiscoCam (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 09:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the replies. I think I will finally bite the bullet on an ultragauge!

Old 03-04-2016, 11:45 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

It would be nice.
but dont think you can use the icarsoft for monitor like that?

Thanks for the replies. I think I will finally bite the bullet on an ultragauge!

Old 03-04-2016, 11:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I have used it before to monitor coolant temps, O2 sensor readings, crank sensor readings, etc. It is just hard to navigate to those monitors whereas the UG is there on startup. The way I would do it is I would use the OBD2 diagnose mode instead of regular diagnose.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:01 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I should been more clear you can monitor h20 temp. It is nice machine but not made to used as an ultraguage.

I have used it before to monitor coolant temps, O2 sensor readings, crank sensor readings, etc. It is just hard to navigate to those monitors whereas the UG is there on startup. The way I would do it is I would use the OBD2 diagnose mode instead of regular diagnose.

DiscoCam (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 12:21 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

My little wi-fi unit and DashCommand do that with an iPod touch in the centre of my cluster. Cheap (if you happen to have an old iPod or iPhone kicking around). And a way nicer looking screen than that too.

DiscoCam (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 12:40 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

If you are too cheap to buy an UG or spend $80 on the health of your vehicle you should just buy another Toyota.

Period.

Last edited by Dave03S; 03-06-2016 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

It's not being cheap to look for alternative options, its being frugal. There's a big difference. I myself don't own an ultrahauge and never plan to. I spent $8 on a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle for codes and another $20 on a real electrical water temp gauge mounted on the bottom of the dash.

The following 2 users liked this post by Alex_M:
DiscoCam (03-06-2016), Mob a Disco (04-02-2016)

Quick Reply: UltraGauge Alternative