Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultragauge vs. OBDII ELM37

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ultragauge vs. OBDII ELM37

I've been reading posts regarding the Ultragauge and the ELM37 scanner and most of them have been positive.

So which one should I get?

Can anyone tell me the best setup for each?

For example the Ultragauge appears to have a windshield mount so you can install it like that but now you have an ugly wire that runs across the dashboard into your scanner port. For the ELM37 I read it's best if you can to get an Android phone to display the readings so I would assume you get a smartphone mount on the A/C vents.

Where is the best place to mount these things?

It appears that with the Ultragauge you can configure it to rotate different views with specified time intervals?

Any advice from people who know about these devices would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Al
2003 D2 SE7

Old 01-10-2013, 12:07 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the UG mounted to the little instruction placard that shows how to shift the transfer case. I used Velcro. I also disconnected the OBDII connector from the underdash tray and plugged in the UG and left the whole mess above the underdash tray. I know there are a lot of available gauges and pages, but I'm only interested in a couple unless there's some kind of diagnostic situation, but I haven't needed any of that. I agree with not liking a wire running across the dash which I have to do to power up the Garmin when I use it.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Pix of one mount, why a OBDII driven gauge is important, and what can happen if you just depend on the stock gauge. Seems like the Ultra Gauge, with alarm points, is a good thing that stays with the vehicle, if SWMBO is driving she may not have your phone. Put another way - an alarm, that you program, to alert SWMBO while she is driving and ignoring all lights on the vehicle.. might have advantages. Note - when the conversation will begin with the question "How long has it been doing that?" - make those words calm and quiet.

It is also important to note that new gauge owners of any type suffer the psychological stress of seeing temps jumping around. It is important not to freak out the first time it climbs past 205, etc. You are now watching with digital precision the temperature that is determined by the mechanical thermostat, the performance will vary especially on early morning warm up.

Attached Thumbnails Ultragauge vs. OBDII ELM37-wallet.jpg   Ultragauge vs. OBDII ELM37-ultra-gauge.jpg   Ultragauge vs. OBDII ELM37-pittsburgh-20120905-00034.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-10-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Pix of one mount, why a OBDII driven gauge is important, and what can happen if you just depend on the stock gauge. Seems like the Ultra Gauge, with alarm points, is a good thing that stays with the vehicle, if SWMBO is driving she may not have your phone. Put another way - an alarm, that you program, to alert SWMBO while she is driving and ignoring all lights on the vehicle.. might have advantages. Note - when the conversation will begin with the question "How long has it been doing that?" - make those words calm and quiet.

It is also important to note that new gauge owners of any type suffer the psychological stress of seeing temps jumping around. It is important not to freak out the first time it climbs past 205, etc. You are now watching with digital precision the temperature that is determined by the mechanical thermostat, the performance will vary especially on early morning warm up.
SBuzz,

Lol! Love the driving woman scenario! Pardon me, I'm poor with acronyms - SWMBO? The coin tray mount makes sense, hate the UG smack in the middle of the factory gauges. Is this yours or some other dudes?

Yes I like the alarm features. That is one of the things that is attracting me to the UltraGauge. Because you pointed this out, I'm ordering it today.

I'm thinking I can use an iPhone vent mount and clasp the UltraGauge there. Will post pic when done.

Al

Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the ELM327 hook up with the Android phone only because the phone was free and the ELM327 was $12.00 bucks free shipping on eBay.

Here is my pic.

Ultragauge vs. OBDII ELM37-img_3101.jpg

If I had the $70.00 I would get the UltraGauge for sure. A dedicated system seems like would always be better than a pieced together deal.

AND it took me a few days to get over the OMG every time the temp fluctuated 2 degrees!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

That fine pix came from member Snafu Disco Fries. Others have mounted on a variety of stalks, etc. The pix I toss around with UG next to regular gauge is good old fashioned scare tactics, I want people to be concerned about temps and not lulled to sleep by the programming mistake of Bosch, when they wrote the code for the ECU. Give us the information, and lets us make the call on what is normal and what is not.

SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed And for the gal members, yes there are just as many "Road Warrior Kings" who are so busy talking on the cell phone about their fantasy league they ignore the same things, or they found the flux capacitor switch and have the oldies turned up so loud they can't hear a police car behind them.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't see no stinkin wires?

Attached Thumbnails Ultragauge vs. OBDII ELM37-ug.jpg  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
...or they found the flux capacitor switch and have the oldies turned up so loud they can't hear a police car behind them.
Huh? What? Oops, sorry, Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight

Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the ELM bluetooth dongle but I only bought it as a way to get a cheap code reader that could deliver live data and reset codes if needed. I spent $12 on the dongle and downloaded some free software to my laptop. I added an analog temp gauge to my truck so I don't need the readout on the road but if that was what I was after I would go with the UltraGauge. If you already have an Android phone or can get one for nothing, then you can get similar results with the $12 dongle and a cheap app ($4.99 torque) but if you try to use an iPhone, even a jailbroken one, you will end up spending as much or more than an ultragauge for si,ilar results.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
I have the ELM bluetooth dongle but I only bought it as a way to get a cheap code reader that could deliver live data and reset codes if needed. I spent $12 on the dongle and downloaded some free software to my laptop. I added an analog temp gauge to my truck so I don't need the readout on the road but if that was what I was after I would go with the UltraGauge. If you already have an Android phone or can get one for nothing, then you can get similar results with the $12 dongle and a cheap app ($4.99 torque) but if you try to use an iPhone, even a jailbroken one, you will end up spending as much or more than an ultragauge for si,ilar results.
I've got the Elm and the FREE Torque App on my Android Tablet, and it shows most everything you will need. But I prefer the ease of use of the UltraGauge, which is currently laying in front of the Hi-Lo label.

Attached Thumbnails Ultragauge vs. OBDII ELM37-ultragauge-1.jpg   Ultragauge vs. OBDII ELM37-ultragauge-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ultragauge vs. OBDII ELM37