Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unexplained Driveline Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 06:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Unexplained Driveline Noise

Ladies/Gents,

Glad to be back in DiscoWorld, as expensive and frustrating as it may be.

Have a 2003 DII, great car, in good shape, which I picked up recently. Has the GPR long block in it, and engine is smooth as silk, which it better be with 20K miles on it.

I have a noise in the drivetrain that has worsened sharply this weekend, and need to figure it out.

The front propshaft is out of the running, its been rebuilt, has urethane-bushing, greasable joints, and was lubed 1K ago at the last oil change.

The noise is definitely speed related, and sounds like something rubbing, or a bearing that has completely $*&t the bed. It is worse at coasting or deceleration, and comes from under the floorboards, passenger side, towards the front. (which originally made me think propshaft...)

It popped up kinda suddenly, and is persistent. I've tried the head-out-the-window thing, not much to hear, it goes away on the highway, but is very noticeable around town where I live (0-45mph)

Possibles, which I need help to diagnose are:

Wheel bearing (hub)
Differential - will be getting the oil swapped tomorrow AM and check for shavings
Transfer case - possible? Any way to diag? Drain/look at mag plug?

Anything else? have been searching, but "bearing noise" and other such queries give me a lot of low grade ore....

Thanks in advance for the help.

for the record, this is my 5th disco, and 2nd 2003.

- dc

Old 07-27-2015, 06:23 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

a transfer case output bearing is a possibility

Old 07-27-2015, 12:22 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Happens in turns I bet.
You need to pull the wheel bearings.
Grease them or replace them and grease them.
Tension then.

Get this Rover on jack stands.
Firmly grip each tire.
You'll find a loose one.

If you are 130K miles and up - sure may be the problem.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:38 PM
Baja

how is he going to grease or adjust wheel bearing on a 03 disco? HUBS

Old 07-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by jfall
Happens in turns I bet.
You need to pull the wheel bearings.
Grease them or replace them and grease them.
Tension then.

Get this Rover on jack stands.
Firmly grip each tire.
You'll find a loose one.

If you are 130K miles and up - sure may be the problem.
They are non adjustable sealed for life units hence the extortionate price. You can dismantle them if you have a workshop with a hydraulic press and bearing pullers but it's a very difficult task thats assuming you can get the bearings and seals off the shelf.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:52 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
a transfer case output bearing is a possibility
x1 IMO

Old 07-27-2015, 12:53 PM
Baja

you can get Taylor replacement hubs complete with sensors for under $100 in the states, cheaper abroad

Old 07-27-2015, 05:31 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Where do you get Taylor Hub Assembly's for under $100? They are $379.95 currently on roverparts/atlantic british and roversnorth the Proline is $395 and the Genuine is $686.

Also, where do people get a Torque Wrench that can go up to the absurd 360 ft*lbs? I have a noise that I think is a front wheel bearing (it seems to have gone away), so I asked my mechanic and he said he doesn't have, nor would he attempt to work on a vehicle that requires that much torque on a part.

Getting a breaker bar is the easy part, but 400 ft*lb torque wrenches aren't cheap and neither are the multipliers.

A single DIY wheel bearing could cost you over $700 in parts/tools while it's only a $50 part on a chev.

Part of the joys of owner a rover I guess..

Old 07-27-2015, 05:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys - couple more data points from today.

Got under the truck - haven't driven her at all today, my plans to dodge work were nefariously foiled. Pesky tenants.....

There is evidence of a gear oil weep at the front output shaft of the T-case. It's small, but you can clearly see the run in the sediment where it has been leaking. Spots the garage floor about a golf-ball per week.

Driveshafts - I can rotate the front shaft maybe 3-5 degrees in either direction, while the rear shaft has less than 1 degree of movement, both of these conditions are cold car, off, and in park with park brake on.

I'll try to do the "loose wheel" test - it's the same on the Ford diesel trucks, and the "permanent bearings" are insanely priced as well, but it actually makes less noise in turns than on a straight run.

Also - yesterday, took it to grocery store (3 blocks, less chance of disaster) and for grins, put truck in low range to make the trip there. Bearing whine is still there, but the "throp-throp" noise is largely reduced. Not gone, but reduced. On the way home, in high range, it was also lessened.

How tough a replacement is the output bearing on the T-case? Best to just jerk it and rebuild/replace?

Old 07-28-2015, 05:45 AM
Baja

99discovery; well the very first Taylor hub i see is auction # 25202203806 for $79.99 and it includes a new stake nut, eBay is your friend.
I would have to check whom on eBay i bought mine from; but the same fellow had complete sets of four for less than $500.00 w sensors.
there is a time to buy from a LR vendor and a time not too, this is one of those times. You can see the exact hub sold for anywhere from 290+UP AT A LR vendors.

Last edited by drowssap; 07-28-2015 at 07:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Unexplained Driveline Noise