Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unwanted warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 10:46 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unwanted warning lights

Hoping someone can help (usually can ). My disco 2 has all of a sudden developed a worrying fault with the warning lights on the dash. This can happen daily or can happen after a few days , no consistency, three of the amber lights will come on at the same time namely the anti lock braking system light....the Traction Control light and the Hill Descent control (HDC) failure light all amber lights. These will not go off until the ignition is turned off and then they may not come on again for some days. Once again I would appreciate any help or do I have to result to the LR agents God forbid.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Three amigos

plenty of threads on how to diagnose and fix.

do you have a code reader?

The following users liked this post:
woodchip2bert (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 10:54 AM
Three Wheeling

Three amigos, thanks for that but no ..no code reader and wouldn't know how to use it if I did

Old 08-20-2018, 11:16 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Well then you better be ready to learn how to maintain your vehicle, be ready to pay someone to maintain your vehicle, or sell it cheap to someone who does. These are not Toyotas where you just get in and drive forever.

What is your plan?

Old 08-20-2018, 12:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

I normally advocate diagnose, diagnose, diagnose, but if you don't have access to a diagnostic tool that can read ABS codes and don't want to buy one or pay someone to do it for you, there's a good chance the fault is related to the shuttle valve switches mounted inside the ABS modulator.

More specifically, there is a printed circuit buried deep in the modulator that very commonly fails. The bad PC can be bypassed, restoring full ABS operation, by performing something called here Option B (search for Option B). Option B requires just a few dollars worth of supplies and relatively simple tools and skills, including soldering. Option B can seem daunting, but it's actually relatively simple to do.

There's a good chance Option B will cure the Three Amigos in your truck, and if not you've not wasted any significant money and you've preventively addressed a problem that might likely occur eventually anyway.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:59 PM
Three Wheeling

I am too old in the tooth to start learning about codes etc so it seems that I will have to get someone to sort it for me so thanks for your time and suggestions

Old 08-20-2018, 01:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Where are you located?

we might be able to recommend a shop

Old 08-20-2018, 01:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi and thanks but I am in Norfolk UK

Old 08-20-2018, 03:20 PM
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

Basically you have 3 possible problems
  1. As noted by MLN01 the wiring in the ABS modulator you can research the Option B fix and it will tell you all bout those
  2. A failing modulator - the valves inside do go this is the worst case - very expensive as it often requires a new modulator
  3. A bad wheel sensor or damaged wire - the only way to know is to go to a shop that can read land rover specific codes
There are other outliers but these are the most common, I would expect it is most likely 1 or 3 given the intermittent nature of of the lights. You best bet is to go to a shop that can read the codes and find out exactly what is wrong.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by woodchip2bert
Hi and thanks but I am in Norfolk UK
What part of Norfolk are you located? I've got a Land Rover diagnostic code reader and I'm in Suffolk near Thetford. I can stop by and help.

Quick Reply: Unwanted warning lights