Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upcoming trip, 2040 miles one way with trailer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 12:20 AM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Upcoming trip, 2040 miles one way with trailer.

Heading from Los Angeles to central Tennessee pulling a trailer full of tools to fix up a house we just purchased
What would you do to your Discovery to prepare for such a trip.
The following has been done
In line thermostat mod with new hoses
Radiator flushed and new coolant
Alisport aluminum overflow tank
PCV mod
4k dashcam
New tires
Changing the O2 sensors tomorrow

Old 08-01-2021, 01:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd pack these items.
  • Spare Crank sensor.
  • Check your spare tire
  • Oil Change
  • Trans fluid and filter
  • Diff fluid
  • Scan for codes
Good luck.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,188 Likes on 850 Posts

Check tire pressure, spare and trailer too.
Check fluid levels, change if close to being due (but typically, l hate changing stuff a few days before a trip, usually like to do it a few weeks beforehand, then check for self-induced issues or possibly an inferior part...believe me...it happens and how many times have we read on here..."hey, l'm leaving in the morning for a thousand mile trip and was changing my oil tonight...and stripped out the oil plug threads").
Items l want to have been replaced recently would be...idler/tensioner/belt.
Items l'd carry would be...gallon of anti-freeze or water (or both), other than that...pretty much anything else can be found at parts store or gas station (oil, washer fluid, etc) and checked while stopped.
Use a scan tool that reads live data, you'll definitely want to monitor cooling system, while hauling a trailer and considering the route you will be taking. You already mentioned taking tools.

Good luck in your travels.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

I'm with Brian, I'd make the fewest changes possible before a big trip. The things you've already done are good upgrades. If you're not throwing codes for O2 sensors then I wouldn't change them.

Carrying some fluids and a crank position sensor is a good idea. Check spares has already been mentioned.

Wouldn't be adding an oil cooler for the sake reasons mentioned.

Be sure to grease up driveshafts.

Double check all your lights and trailer lights before you pull out.

When was the last time you replaced the air filter? That one is pretty safe, and these poor engines need all the help they can get when towing.

Truthfully, there's very little to go wrong that you can't limp it into an auto parts store and fix it on the spot. Just keep that extra Crank Position Sensor in your glove box. The Auto Zone house brand is usually actually a Bosch in a different box.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:13 AM
Mudding

Oil was changed 500 miles ago, and air filter has 200 miles on it, plus I carry a spare.
Spare tires are new as well, including on the trail.
O2 sensors are original, so only changing to improve power. Really think I should hold off on that change?
I've never carried a spare crankshoft position sensor before, but I'll be picking up one today.
I'll actually be bringing most of my auto tools, including an iLand II reader. Currently throwing no codes.
Vehicle has just under 102,000 total miles.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:36 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I would not change working 02 sensors. You should be fine with what you've done so far with the possible exception of greasing the drive shaft U joints if you haven't

Have Fun and don't stress!!

Old 08-01-2021, 08:55 AM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

You sound like you look after your disco

just drive it and enjoy it

Old 08-01-2021, 10:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

You need a way to monitor temps with alarm capabilty. Most folks like the ultragauge but there are others.

In addition to the spare CPS bring a spare ignition coil, spare plugs wires are not bad if you have the space.

I agree on the idler pulleys. How old is the water pump? Consider either replacing all the hoses or replacing them pre-emptively if they are original. If you do change them carry the ones you take off as spares. How are the brake pads?

Old 08-01-2021, 11:08 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Extinct
You need a way to monitor temps with alarm capabilty. Most folks like the ultragauge but there are others.

In addition to the spare CPS bring a spare ignition coil, spare plugs wires are not bad if you have the space.

I agree on the idler pulleys. How old is the water pump? Consider either replacing all the hoses or replacing them pre-emptively if they are original. If you do change them carry the ones you take off as spares. How are the brake pads?
I have Torque pro which I've used for years to monitor coolant temp and other important data. May hard wire coolant gauge to your thermostat mod, already have the port installed.
Coolant hoses are new, always have a spare set of spark plugs even carry spare ECU.
Upgraded slotted rotors and brake pads. Water pump has about 40,000 miles on it. Was replaced by dealer.
I'll get a spare ignition coil. Mine may be original.

Old 08-01-2021, 11:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

How old is your alternator? I recently took a vacation to the beach and it acted up a bit. Mine is a Bosch remanufactured that is at least 7 years old. Works fine for the most part, but doesn't seem to handle full load...lights, AC, defroster, etc. Drops to 12.8. I have a new Bosch 150 amp en route. Might want to monitor voltages while driving and idling with full load before your trip.

Quick Reply: Upcoming trip, 2040 miles one way with trailer.