Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

URGENT PLEASE HELP... HEad gasket repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 11:48 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT PLEASE HELP... HEad gasket repair

Srry to throw up the red flag there, But we really need help. My friend and I are attempting to repair his Discos head gasket..

Stats.. 94 LR Disco 3.9 ltr

neither one of us has ever attempted to do something like this before, but are somewhat mechanicly inclined. anyway, we need some sort of breakdown sheet. PDF file???or easiest way to go about this,, so far we have most everything off linkage and vaccume wise. we are about to pull the plenum and the intake and then get into it,,

Question,, should the plenum even come off or should we take it all as one piece from the intake up?.. ok, any help would be huge. thanks..

true or false:: after the rebuild.. we have to run it,, then take everything back apart and retourque?

thanks

Old 11-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: URGENT PLEASE HELP... HEad gasket repair

No offense, but it sounds like you might want to reconsider this job until you do a lot more research. First, get the RAVE CD (land rover manual) off of ebay or something (or sign up on www.alldata.com) and it will tell you everything that you need to know. I literally just finished my headgaskets, it was not that hard but there are a lot of steps and it can take a long time.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I agree, it is any easy engine to work on, old Buick, but a Rave CD will help you.
Not you don't have to retorque after it has been rebuilt.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:24 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah, i hear you on that. we are just seeing if we can pull it off and save a few bucks!

Old 11-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Three Wheeling

[blockquote]I am an amateur wrench and just successfully finished the job on a 1998 Disco 1.
[/blockquote]Words of advice

1. Get the Rave CD!!! It is what the factory techs use and it easy to follow. It is available free to download if you look around. It has proven very, very helpful.

2. Take a few digital pictures to help with wire and hose routing later.

3. Drain the coolant, there is no drain plug!! Pull the bottom hose and have a nice shower. Pull the drain plugs out of the side of the engine (near knock sensor on passenger accessible from topside, little tougher on drivers side towards back accessible only from the bottom.) Definitely pull off the plenum, then the intake with injectors and rail intact. Do yourself a favor and remove the short hose and its fitting. It make getting at that intake bolt a whole lot easier.

Did I mention get the rave CD!!!!!!!

Old 11-02-2008, 10:31 PM
mh
Drifting

Good luck on the repair.

It looks like mine needs new head gaskets, I can see the coolan bubling out.

Good luck.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:22 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the help.. and i;m lookin into that CD..

We got it down to the Intake Man, and the valve covers are still on.. we stopped to get more info..

Old 11-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Rock Crawling

Take a look at this pdf document -
http://www.robisonservice.com/servic...n_fouling1.pdf

I had this problem - sticky valves, and did this service a couple of years ago. Everything good since then. One word of advice- or a couple - don't take anything apart that you don't have to, take photos and write things down. Also, keep the pushrods, lifters, etc. marked, labeled or in a place where you won't get them mixed up. I got a good machine shop to do my heads, and they came back like new. You don't want to have to do this again, and it's money well-spent. Replace the head bolts. They stretch, and you should not re-use them. Be careful, and best of luck !!

Old 11-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I pulled my rocker arms off the shaft when I had that off as well. The oil passages through the rocker arms were completely clogged up with gunkin most of them (and my engine looked very clean). Just make sure that you put everything back together exactly as you took it off (there is a notch on the end of the shaft that must be at 1 o'clock while looking at it with the push rod connectionon the right.