Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The Vaccum Situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla
I'm pretty sure my signature does have my truck's specs, , is the vaccum motor thay goes on every morning after you start the truck
Do you know what a signature is?

Air pump not vacuum. One blows and one sucks.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,674 Posts

SAI = will run at first startup for up to several minutes. 100% normal and the sound generated has a lot to do with the condition of the pump, the filter, the 3 rubber bushings, and the hose connecting it to the rest of the SAI system.

Put your vehicle specs in your Signature. Makes it instant on what you've got vs having to pull up your profile.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:43 PM
Mudding
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
SAI = will run at first startup for up to several minutes. 100% normal and the sound generated has a lot to do with the condition of the pump, the filter, the 3 rubber bushings, and the hose connecting it to the rest of the SAI system.

Put your vehicle specs in your Signature. Makes it instant on what you've got vs having to pull up your profile.
I've had similar situation lately too (03 SE) where the SAI will startup for 2-4 seconds after the car is warm, always at idle (stop light or something). It's only happened twice, not a big deal just wondering if its a symptom of a larger problem....as the SAI pump should only come on cold start.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Pro Wrench

not a big deal just wondering if its a symptom of a larger problem
Cold weather?

Old 01-08-2017, 09:01 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by huggi
I've had similar situation lately too (03 SE) where the SAI will startup for 2-4 seconds after the car is warm, always at idle (stop light or something). It's only happened twice, not a big deal just wondering if its a symptom of a larger problem....as the SAI pump should only come on cold start.
...yup, this is the symptom, mine is a '02 DISCO S2 SE.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by number9
Do you know what a signature is?

Air pump not vacuum. One blows and one sucks.
...sure I know what a "signature" is, it's been there with my truck's info, among other details since day one; which by the way cannot be seen when using the "mobile site" on a "smartphone", but yes when viewed as "full site".

I mistakenly call it a "Vaccum" 'cause it sounds like a "Vacuum Cleaner", but I guess you're right and it is an "Air Pump".

Old 01-08-2017, 09:18 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Best4x4

...it actually sounds just like a "vaccum cleaner", no weird noises, so I guess it's condition should be good, it is just the random going on during the day, besides it's morning ritual just as you mentioned.

As per "the signature situation", if you are reading this via the "mobile site" on a smartphone, it does not appear for reasons I do not know; but again, my truck's info is there and I see it when viewing as "full site", but thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:23 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by number9
Cold weather?
...and why would that be? ...in my case I live in SoFla and it has come on during this winter, now that you memtion it, although not cold at all down here. It did it this morning after a 30 min drive, and outside temp was around 60s, it is a cold weekend SoFla style. ;-]#

Old 01-08-2017, 09:33 PM
Pro Wrench

The ECM checks the engine coolant temperature when the engine is started in addition to the elapsed time since the
engine was last started. The engine coolant temperature must be below 55°C (131°F) for the SAI pump to run.
NOTE: The ambient air temperature must also be above 8°C (46°F) for the SAI pump to run.
Also, depending on the long term 'modelled' ambient temperature determined by the ECM, the minimum elapsed time
required since the last engine start can be up to 8.25 hours. The period of time that the SAI pump runs for depends
on the starting temperature of the engine and varies from approximately 96 seconds at 8°C (46°F) to 30 seconds at
55°C (131°F).
Reminded me that mine did come on a couple/few times within a short several day period 9-12 months ago. OAT was cool but not below freezing. In my case it came on when at normal engine operating temp and at idle when stopped before making a turn. Since then just normal operation.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:35 PM
TReK
Received 767 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla
...sure I know what a "signature" is, it's been there with my truck's info, among other details since day one; which by the way cannot be seen when using the "mobile site" on a "smartphone", but yes when viewed as "full site".
Yours is not visible when viewing the full site either.
There's a checkbox to show your signature in the "Additional Options" section when you're about to submit a post. Yours may not be checked.

Quick Reply: ..:: The Vaccum Situation ::..