Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum lines

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vacuum lines

Getting po171 & po174. I want to check all my vacuum lines before buying MAF and O2 sensors. Does anyone know of a picture or diagram of the vacuum lines or can describe them to me? I'm new to the disco so I don't want miss anything. Thanks all.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

There really isn't one. How dirty is your air filter, how often do you change it and is it paper or a K&N????

Old 08-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mike. Been reading a lot of your posts. I feel pretty honored that you and the others have seen fit to help me out. Thank you.

I am a newbie. First Rover ever - bought a little over a month ago. 01 with 100K. Within 200 miles I realized I bought one with a headgasket issue. So, even though it was rookie not to have it probably checked out, I am not regretting it now that that costly nightmare is over. I freakin love this vehicle.

But the bad, strait out of the gate experience has me paranoid as all get out. I am working my way through your 60K/used maintainance list as fast as I can but the $2300 headgasket/alternator/battery/tune-up ect stuff has made it impossible to do everything on the list this week.

I am getting po174/po171 codes. The shop that did the headgasket job cleared them but they were back within 20 miles or so. Had Autozone clear them and they came back again around 10-20 miles. Searching the threads I think it's going to be the MAF sensor and/or all the oxygen sensors (especially 02's due to the headgasket deal???). Those two things I can't afford at this second so I noticed that a lot of people dealing with this issue have been advised to check for vacuum leaks. I have more time than money right now so I'd like to do this, I'm just not sure where all to look. Any help would be greatly appriciated. I would like to go through a week or two without having to see the service light on.

Also, I see that you and the others are big supporters of the Seafoam treatment. Do I need to do that after a full headgasket job? The heads were checked and she is running like a champ (minus the codes) so would doing this hurt or be a waste of 10 bucks?

Thanks again.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:10 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Rover shipped the vehicles out of the factory with bad head gaskets. 100k is about right for them needing replaced. Good news is that now that you have replaced the head gaskets they should last the rest of the vehicles life. The trick is to make sure you change your coolant regularly and flush the cooling system. Old coolant can turn acidic and eat the head gaskets.

To check for vacuum leaks go one hose at a time and check the hose end to end for cracks. It will be time consuming and some of the hoses will be difficult to find both ends but visually checking them is the way to go. You can also spray the ends of the vacuum hoses with something like liquid tape to help make a good seal.

What kind of plugs and wires are you using? A lot of times O2 codes are solved by new plugs and wires.

I personally would go ahead and do the Seafoam treatment to clean the top of the heads. I'm sure the mechanic just cleaned them up enough to check them and reinstall. Also clean the throttle body bottle really well while the Seafoam is working inside the engine.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Robover01
Hi Mike. Been reading a lot of your posts. I feel pretty honored that you and the others have seen fit to help me out. Thank you.

I am a newbie. First Rover ever - bought a little over a month ago. 01 with 100K. Within 200 miles I realized I bought one with a headgasket issue. So, even though it was rookie not to have it probably checked out, I am not regretting it now that that costly nightmare is over. I freakin love this vehicle.

But the bad, strait out of the gate experience has me paranoid as all get out. I am working my way through your 60K/used maintainance list as fast as I can but the $2300 headgasket/alternator/battery/tune-up ect stuff has made it impossible to do everything on the list this week.

I am getting po174/po171 codes. The shop that did the headgasket job cleared them but they were back within 20 miles or so. Had Autozone clear them and they came back again around 10-20 miles. Searching the threads I think it's going to be the MAF sensor and/or all the oxygen sensors (especially 02's due to the headgasket deal???). Those two things I can't afford at this second so I noticed that a lot of people dealing with this issue have been advised to check for vacuum leaks. I have more time than money right now so I'd like to do this, I'm just not sure where all to look. Any help would be greatly appriciated. I would like to go through a week or two without having to see the service light on.

Also, I see that you and the others are big supporters of the Seafoam treatment. Do I need to do that after a full headgasket job? The heads were checked and she is running like a champ (minus the codes) so would doing this hurt or be a waste of 10 bucks?

Thanks again.
I am going wheeling this morning but if you want to talk later this afternoon, send me your tele number and I'll try to help you.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robover01
I am working my way through your 60K/used maintainance list as fast as I can
There are people on here that know way more about this problem than me however, if I might make a suggestion

Whoa - slow down, unless it is something that is detrimental to your vehicle no one says you HAVE to get that done ASAP.

Copy and Print a few copies of the 60k service and make a checklist out of it. Then prioritize your individual issues - drive it while working your way through it. If you have an issue that will kill your vehicle - park it until it's resolved.

As you've learned already when these vehicles break it can be costly, I've seen it suggested on here to get a savings account and allow it to accumulate at least 1k and leave it there - it's your Rover's trust (emergency) fund.

Everyone on here wants you to have a good vehicle - no one on here wants to see you go bankrupt trying to make it that way. Sometimes the faster you go, the further behind you get (ask the rabbit).

Happy Motoring

Robert