Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum Lines?? Where do they go??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Vacuum Lines?? Where do they go??

Wow, I forgot to post pictures.. I added one below, but there are 2 lines like this on with the blue tape on it.. One on both sides of the trans in that spot

Hi guys, I'm completing my long time project of fixing the busted flex plate and torque converter.. Once i got started with this project, I have 2 lines on the transmission and transfer case that were but and seem to go nowhere..
I had the Engine replaced with a rebuilt P38 Range Rover engine when my 04 Disco 4.6L head gasket gave out and ruined the block.
So maybe these lines are not needed on the P38 engine?? Or where do they go??
Is there a diagram or map somewhere to show me exactly where they should go??
Thanks as always guys! ready to get this rig on the road
P.S. These lines were cut for a while, and it drove without issue... as far as I know

Attached Thumbnails Vacuum Lines?? Where do they go??-20140829_154755.jpg  

Last edited by cobbcj7; 08-29-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cobbcj7
Wow, I forgot to post pictures.. I added one below, but there are 2 lines like this on with the blue tape on it.. One on both sides of the trans in that spot

Hi guys, I'm completing my long time project of fixing the busted flex plate and torque converter.. Once i got started with this project, I have 2 lines on the transmission and transfer case that were but and seem to go nowhere..
I had the Engine replaced with a rebuilt P38 Range Rover engine when my 04 Disco 4.6L head gasket gave out and ruined the block.
So maybe these lines are not needed on the P38 engine?? Or where do they go??
Is there a diagram or map somewhere to show me exactly where they should go??
Thanks as always guys! ready to get this rig on the road
P.S. These lines were cut for a while, and it drove without issue... as far as I know
The breather line with the blue tape is the breather for the t-case and it is broken. That line runs up the back of the engine bay and comes out by the rear of the passenger valve cover. The tube runs up high so that the t-case can breather while you take the disco through deep water. I do not believe it is good for the tube to be covered or blocked off like that.

The other 2 breather tubes I am not sure about. The transmission has a breather tube the runs up the same spot as the T-case tube but instead of ending up at the valve cover like the T-case, it loops back down and ends down by the transmission.

The reason I am not sure if those are the transmission tubes is because they run on the other side of the transmission on my truck. I am not sure if the P38 used a different transmission or if it is the same as the D2. I don't know much about the P38 or if it's much different. Sorry

Here is the best pic I could find to show how those tubes should run. The blue is the transmission and the red is the t-case. I hope this helps.
Vacuum Lines?? Where do they go??-breather-tubes.jpg
If the pic is hard to see this pdf. might be easier.
Breather tubes.pdf

I would check to make sure the breather tube for the transmission is hooked up.

Last edited by Jared9220; 08-29-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So by breather tube, you mean they just open up to allow air in, at an elevated plave under the hood??
Could I use some modified rubber lines and put them where I please?? Thanks

Old 09-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cobbcj7
So by breather tube, you mean they just open up to allow air in, at an elevated plave under the hood??
Could I use some modified rubber lines and put them where I please?? Thanks
Yes, the tubes are to allow air in and elevated up behind the engine for high water crossing.

As for a rubber replacement. The only thing that I would be concerned with in using rubber is that the hose creates a vacuum and rubber might calapse in on itself. I believe that's why the lines were originally hard plastic. If you do try rubber hoses try and get one with a large outer diameter (thicker wall) so the hose has more strength. Also, be sure to get a hose with a small enough inner diameter that it will create an air tight seal (There is no use in running the breather hose up high if water can leak in where the hose connects to the T-Case).

Last edited by Jared9220; 09-17-2014 at 08:20 PM.